Sojourner's Place

Being Black in the Work Place  

Posted by SjP in

They take my kindness for weakness. They take my silence for speechless. They consider my uniqueness strange. They call my language slang. They see my confidence as conceit. They see my mistakes as defeat. They consider my success accidental. They minimize my intelligence to "potential". My questions mean "I'm unaware". My advancement is somehow unfair. Any praise is preferential treatment. To voice concern is discontentment. If I stand up for myself, I'm too defensive. If I don't trust them, I'm too apprehensive. I'm defiant if I separate. I'm fake if I assimilate. Yet, constantly I am faced with work place hate. My character is constantly under attack. Pride for my race makes me, "TOO BLACK".

Yet, I can only be me. And, who am I you ask?

I am that Strong Black Person [Woman]. Who stands on the backs of my ancestor's achievements, with an erect spine pointing to the stars with pride, dignity and lets the work place in America know, that I not only ability to play by the rules, but I can make them as well!

Black History 365
~Arthur Unknown ~

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Tuesday, January 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 sojourners hollin' back

Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45