Sojourner's Place

for sistas only: i got mine and you got to get yours  

Posted by SjP in ,

Yes, I'm being very sexist! This post is for the Sistas only! So all you Brothas who just had to troll by here to read what truths ole SjP was putting down...SHAME ON YOU! But, now that I have all y'all's undivided attention - keep on reading because what I have to say is really important. In fact, its truly a MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH!

So no more beating around the bush!



HERE ARE THE FACTS:


  1. African-American women with breast cancer are 67 percent more likely to die from the disease than their white counterparts. In addition, African-American breast cancer patients are younger when they are diagnosed and are more likely to be diagnosed with later stage disease than white women. Source

  2. African-American women who are premenopausal are twice as likely to get a certain type of breast tumor, one that is a particularly virulent form of breast cancer, than other women. Source

  3. African American women are diagnosed with breast cancer at a younger age and have larger tumors and more lymph node involvement than Caucasian women, a Yale School of Medicine researcher reported today. Source

  4. Cancer is more likely to come back in the breasts of African-American women with early-stage breast cancer who undergo breast-conserving surgery than in their white counterparts, according to the largest study of its kind. Source

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And that's all good; but its not enough to be aware. YOU GOT TO GET YOURS - YOUR MAMMOGRAM. I don't know about you, but I personally know about 10 women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the last 10 years. Thankfully, most are survivors but as I said most - not all! Tomorrow morning, I'm going to GET MINE because early detection is the KEY TO LIFE.

Sistas, if YOU GOT YOURS sign the Linky and let us know the date in the comments. If you haven't made your appointment - STOP NOW! GO MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT and then come back and sign the Linky and put your appointment date in the comments.

And Brothas, if you've read this post and if you pledge to make sure that your wife, mother, auntie, and cousins'nem get their yearly mammo - you can sign, too! Remember this can mean LIFE or DEATH! And that's a VERY SERIOUS MATTER.

Painting: Circle of Promise by Synthia SAINT JAMES


Susan G. Komen for the Cure® commissioned artist Synthia SAINT JAMES to create “Circle of Promise” in support of its Circle of Promise program, an initiative dedicated to re-writing the story on breast cancer in the African American community. “Circle of Promise” is meant to inspire hope, healing, unity and love in our shared vision of creating a world without breast cancer.

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...


~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Technorati ~ ~ Del.icio.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Email SjP ~ ~ FeedBlitz

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Thursday, October 09, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

12 sojourners hollin' back

My appointment is Friday, October 10 @ 11A.

October 10, 2008 at 1:41 AM

Thank you so much for posting these facts! I love the knowledge sharing when I visit your blog. You are such a wonderful blogger. I am a cancer survivor so I love anyone who brings these much needed reminders.
Love your new layout..

October 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM

In June I had my first mammogram. If you don't mind having your breasts squished to a thin layer you'll be just fine. Really, it was a manageable discomfort. I was thinking like a model should, "All for the pic baby!” The same day I received a call back from my OBGYN and everything looks good. Read more on "Got Mammorgram?."

October 10, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Great post and I absolutely LOVE your new look. I know it was hard work....as many times as I've changed my template...Lawd! I know.lol

October 10, 2008 at 5:53 PM

@ Iriegal, much obliged for your kind and encouraging words. I'm just over here trying to do the best I can. We gotta keep spreading the knowledge on this and other health issues so like you, there will be other survivors. Praise God and Thank You Jesus! For Real!

@ Believer, LOL! When I came by your spot earlier today I must admit that I got a little tickled because my mammos had never hurt before - at least never hurt before to day. And when the first one got squished today - I thought about you and cracked up laughing to myself as the tech said "hold your breath its almost over".

@ Blog Queen, Guuurrrllll! You Got That Right! LOL!!!

October 11, 2008 at 12:03 AM

This message has to get out - thanks SjP. I'm scheduled for mine on 10/21. I have my films from my last two mammograms. The breast tissue looks really dense so I don't know how the docs can tell what's going on and what's not going on. I've read that Black women have denser breast tissue than other races.

I'll ask my doctor about getting a different test.

October 11, 2008 at 5:39 AM

I am a daughter of a breast cancer survivor and believe me, early detection is the key. I am planning on making my appointment on Tuesday. (Federal Holiday on Monday)

Really sistahs, this disease is killing us in record numbers and we have got to be the ones to save ourselves.

Great post SjP.

October 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM
Anonymous  

The reason the statistic is so how is because so black women are uninsured and simply cannot afford any kind of preventative medical care. Not only this a health issue it is one that is linked to poverty.

October 12, 2008 at 8:55 PM

@ Renee', I do agree that the lack of health benefits is but one reason black women don't get mammograms. But, I also know that many don't get them because they are afraid or uninformed. Education is the key here. There are many nonprofit agencies providing low or no cost mammograms. The Breast Cancer Site has teamed up with several sponsors who for a simple click they make it possible to get a mammo free of charge. In the Call to Action section, I've placed a Breast Cancer Site icon where you can click to learn more about the services they offer.

October 13, 2008 at 2:19 AM

what is the recommended age to start getting them?

October 19, 2008 at 1:22 PM

@ NaturallyAlise, much obliged for coming by. Please don't be a stranger - the doors are always open.

The recommended age is 40 but please check with your doctor. If you have a close maternal relative who has had or has breast cancer then you might need to have a mammo before you turn 40. I also suggest that you do monthly exams yourself. The Breast Cancer Site can give you directions on how to do these if you don't already know.

Hope the info is helpful...please, don't be a stranger.

October 19, 2008 at 3:07 PM

@ Alise, I forgot to tell you that even though the suggested age is 40, I have personal friends who were diagnosed with breast cancer prior to reaching that milestone. So, consult with your doctor just to be on the safeside.

October 19, 2008 at 3:10 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45