Sojourner's Place

qualified minorities considered  

Posted by SjP in

I don't know how you feel about it - but me, when I hear my colleagues say "qualified minorities" I want to go into a real hizzy-fit. What the hell does that mean? Does that mean that ONLY minorities need to be qualified to be considered? More than not, it means that if you are a minority - and specifically AFRICAN-AMERICAN - you have to be over qualified to be considered! You have to literally WALK ON WATER!

As far as I'm concerned this is a "qualifier" used to maintain the status quo of discrimination, racism, and sexism not only in the workplace but in just about every aspect of our lives. Just look at what's happening in the Democratic Presidential campaign with the two front runners.

So, here's what we have. A white woman whose qualifications are never questioned. A white man whose qualifications are never questioned. And a Black man whose qualifications are always questioned. Now, aren't all three of them attorneys? Are all three of them current or former members of the US Senate? OK - Obama is younger and was never the First Lady of a State or the United States; and he has yet to be donned a Vice Presidential candidate - but does that make him less qualified to be the Presidential Nominee of the Democratic Party? Or President of the United States? It would be interesting to know what "qualifiers" would be used if Barack was not African-American.

I don't know, but I just get tired of the continued use of buzz words and phrases that are used to make our lives in the workplace more difficult. But, I do know this - in the event that Barack gets the nomination, he damn sure better win the White House because if he doesn't , the Democrats will say "we tried to hire a black - but he just didn't work out." If he gets in his ratings go even lower than our current President's - Lord Forbid - then America will no doubt say "See! Told you America wasn't ready for a Black President!" And if that happens and you think your workplace is bad now - JUST WAIT!!

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, January 27, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

1 sojourners hollin' back

Hi,
I stumbled across your post on people talking about "qualified minorities." I agree completely! As a black woman I'd been mulling over similar thoughts in my head. Thanks for putting them out there.

February 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45