Sojourner's Place

the great emancipator? a great republican? a duck?  

Posted by SjP in


...no intention to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. The government will not assail you. You can have no conflict without yourselves being the aggressors.

Abraham Lincoln Inaugural Address, March 1861

On the Abolition of Slavery:

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.


Abraham Lincoln, August 22, 1862. Letter written in response to an editorial by Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune urging complete abolition.

On "Negro" soldiers:

I thought that whatever negroes can be got to do as soldiers, leaves just so much less for white soldiers to do, in saving the Union. Does it appear otherwise to you?

Abraham Lincon, August 26, 1863. Letter to James C. Conkling

On Citizenship and the Right to Vote:

Now you are about to have a [constitutional] Convention which, among other things, will probably define the elective franchise. I barely suggest for your private consideration, whether some of the colored people might not be let in — as, for instance, the very intelligent and especially those who have fought gallantly in our ranks.

Abraham Lincoln to Louisiana Governor Michael Hahn, March 1864

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office,...

and On White Supremacy:

...nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

Abraham Lincoln, September 1858. Lincoln-Douglas Debate


The hypocrisy of it all!!!

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_on_slavery#_note-10

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAlincoln.htm

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner('s Place) ain't got nothing more to say.

SjP

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Saturday, March 15, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 sojourners hollin' back

Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45