Sojourner's Place

sunday inspirations...letter to a young black female  

Posted by SjP in ,

Much obliged Cedric who blogs over at Notes of This Native Son for pointing me to this truly inspiring piece. I pray that you will be blessed and inspired. These words are too powerful not to be shared. Be blessed on this day!


What’s up young lady. You may not know who I am but I know who you are. You see, I see your potential, I envision you accomplishing all of your dreams and goals. Anything that you set your mind to can and will be yours if you just Believe!

Believe in what you may ask? Yourself! Believe that you are the intellect which has governed civilizations for century upon century. Believe that you are the standard of beauty and not whatever images the media shells out at you. Believe that there is no task too big or too small that you can not reach for and achieve.

Realize young lady that women have always been at the helm of everything great. James Brown said it best, “this is a man’s world but it wouldn’t be nothing without a woman or a girl”. You have so many big sisters to look up to, so many sources of inspiration that have provided the framework of the strong work ethic known as womanhood.

Notice I call you young lady for these terms that I hear you referred to are not your names. You are a Queen who must demand respect, your mere presence should command respect. You must first respect yourself however, and respect your fellow sisters as well. Together you young ladies make up the future table of leadership.

God made you to be special, he made you to stand apart from the crowd. So fear not if you feel isolated or alone, look back to your big sisters who have changed the landscape of history, they once felt alone too. I write you this letter to show my admiration for you, to pay homage to the beautiful gift that the creator is bestowing upon us. Follow your dreams and believe in your path young lady, for the very thought of you reaching a tenth of your potential is an inspiration to us all!

Truly yours,Cedric D. Shine (your #1 fan)

Post & Picture Source: Letter to a Young Black Female at Notes of The Native Son

Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner's Place ain't got nothing more to say.


Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, June 29, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

4 sojourners hollin' back

That letter was great! I AM a Queen and the standard of beauty, no matter what the Seventeens or the Cosmopolitan magazines say!

June 29, 2008 at 2:34 PM

That is FABULOUS!!! I absolutely love it...if I had a daughter I would frame it and put it on her wall for her to see it every day!

Thanks for sharing!

June 30, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Simply beautiful!

I wish that all of our brothers could see us in this light.

This really is a great letter!

June 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

@NBW - yes you are! Don't let anyone tell you differently!

@Marva - good idea! I'm going to do that for mine ASAP! See, told you you are an inspiration!

@MLD - I hear you! I hear you!

July 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45