Sojourner's Place

sojourner truth: ain't i a woman?  

Posted by SjP in , ,

In concluding her speech at the Democratic National Convention, Senator Clinton recited the mantra coined by Harriet Tubman while leading slaves to freedom: "Keep going!" No matter what KEEP GOING! Whether Hillary's concluding words were a "play to the audience" or "from her heart" (as I do believe), she reminded us all of not only how far we as a people have come but also of the struggles, the triumphs, and often untold stories of African-American women who weaved the very fabric of this Nation.

Yet, when Governor Palin spoke yesterday, lauding over the accomplishments of Senator Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro in the political arena, she either forgot to or saw no need to include the late Honorable Shirley Chisholm among her political heroines. She either forgot to or saw no need to mention Secretary of State, Condoleeza Rice - a Republican, the most powerful and influential woman in the world while paying tribute to women helping to crack the glass ceiling.

The Republicans continue to do nothing to extend a welcome to me, an African-American voter, in an effort to be inclusive. Their idea of outreach and inclusiveness is a billboard espousing that Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Republican. But I ask, does not the accomplishments of African American women matter? I ask, as the namesake of this blog asked in 1851: "Ain't I a Woman?.


That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Sojourner Truth, Delivered To The Women's Convention In Akron, Ohio - December, 1851

Speak the Truth!
Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old SjP ain't got nothing more to say.

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Saturday, August 30, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

2 sojourners hollin' back

Yes, who care if Dr. King was a Republican? One thing for sure: if he were alive today, he wouldn't be one...

If Republicans wanted to be more welcoming, they could also quote Fannie Lou Hamer. After getting beaten to almost to death for trying to register blacks to vote, she got off her back and resumed her work as Field Secretary of SNCC. She kept going.

I wrote about her at daddyBstrong.blogspot.com

August 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Anonymous  

powerful and so true. In their (the republicans) haste to throw a pretty face in the game; not only did they over look the remarkable careers of Rice and Chisolm but every other woman that has participated in U.S. Government.

August 30, 2008 at 10:54 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45