Sojourner's Place

old school friday...my birth year song  

Posted by SjP in ,

Oh Yeah! It's FRIDAY!!! And that means it's time for some old school jamming and having a partay in the blogosphere! This week's theme is Song From The Year Of Your Birth. Translation: Just How Old Are You, Anyway?

My OSF pick was recorded on August 13, 1952; just 2 days after I was born. Yeah! That's right! I'm old enough to be some of y'alls' mother and in some cases grandmother! Now! Stop that laughing ya hear. It at right to make fun of yo elders...ain't you got no home training?

Now, what's funny about this pick is that even though its really old as dirt, I know that everyone coming here today has heard it or at least a variation of it. And that's a real twist here at SjP's, cause most of the time my OSF picks are new to many of you. Anyway, Elvis might have put it on the map - but Big Momma Thorton gave it life. I think y'all gonna like this one! Enjoy!

Mrs. Grapevine and Ms. Marvalus are the creators of this bloggie meme. Click here for more info. Want more OSF! Check out these sites:

AJ - Believer 1964 - CC Groovy - Chocl8t - Shawn - Danielle - Danielle Vyas - Dee - DP - Fresh and Fab - Hagar’s DaughtersInvisible Woman - Kim - LaKeisha - LaShonda - Lil Creole Pimp - Lisa C - Marcus - MarvalusOne(OSF Co-Creator) - Mike - Mrs. Grapevine (OSF Co-Creator) LadyDeborah - Quick - Regina - Revvy Rev - Shae-Shae - Sharon - SJP - Thembi - Villager - Vivrant Thang

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...


~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP


Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Friday, November 14, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

19 sojourners hollin' back

Awww sukie, sukie now. I have no business being up so late/early (whatever) but I know I'm over here doing the Tina Turner shoulders to this cut... nice selection.

November 14, 2008 at 4:05 AM

Sjp: As my used to say, "She's a goodun." My father, who was a union man and blues guitarist, knew her. He said she was one of the first women in the blues to have her own band. And if the men didn't show up on time, or got fresh with her, she would pull out her razor and give them the business.

"You ain't nothin but a hound dog" remains me of how much black music was stolen. But it also reminds me that gospel, blues, and jazz was our gift to the world." Blessings.

November 14, 2008 at 8:00 AM

It was my aunt who said Mama Thornton was a "goodun."

November 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM

You picked a pioneer, trailblazer, and great performer. Also, a great year!

November 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM

I'm an Elvis fan but know his roots were in soul and blues music.

First time hearing this version. Thanks for the introduction!

November 14, 2008 at 8:32 AM
Anonymous  

Hey Sojourner!

This must be my day. This is the second blues pick I've come across, and as a blues/jazz guitaris myself this thrills me no end! And especially to see my man Buddy Guy on guitar backing up Big Momma. Buddy Guy was actually the reason I decided to take my guitar ijn the blues direction more than 20 years ago when I was living on Chicago's South Side and playing i some of the clubs around there. That's where I got my start. And I used to go hear Buddy play at the Checkerboard Lounge just off 43rd and King Drive, which wasn't more than 3 blocks from where I lived on 46th and King. Buddy owned the joint at the time and Junior Wells used to be there all the time too.

Aw man you're bringing back memories! And thanks, thanks, thanks, for reminding folks who REALLY did "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog"! Elvis couldn't hodl a candle to Big Momma Thornton.

Happy OSF!

November 14, 2008 at 9:57 AM

See now that's what I'm talking about! Let's go back to the root of it all! Of course I knew Big Mama did the original version of "Hound Dog". If you think about it, it's a woman's song! Anyhow thanks for taking us back to the beginnings and Happy OSF!

November 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM

She now that is what I am talking bout! you got the SONG! You know what they say AGE BRINGS WISDOM..and you brought it to OLD SCHOOL FRIDAY with this song! I LOVE IT!

November 14, 2008 at 11:13 AM

this is a really nice song, you took me back

have a gr8 weeknd

November 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I came by on a link from The Villager and the irresistable Big Mama Thornton. Your blog has a wonderful look.

November 14, 2008 at 3:56 PM

lol, but your so young at heart.

Happy OSF!

November 14, 2008 at 4:20 PM
Anonymous  

I heard Elvis use to steal songs from the South, and now here's proof.

This song has a whole different meaning when she sings it. When she sing those words you can tell she talking about a low down dirty dog.

I like this, great find!

November 14, 2008 at 4:48 PM

@ Shae, LOL! Gotta do that TT shoulders-thing on this one!

@ MacDaddy, yeah this is a goodun - couldn't agree more! A lot of our music was stolen and other folks made millions!

@ Revvy Rev, she was the bomb back in the day...and yeah, I think 52 was all good, too!

@ Believer, glad you liked the original.

@ Keith, 43rd and King...what you know about that part of the plantation... Something tells me that we might know some of the same folks since I grew up in a south suburb of Chi town... Small world even in the blogosphere!

@ Pjazzypar, I hear you! Sho nuff a woman's song...I know at least a couple for whom this cut had to have been written!

@ Iriegal, "age brings wisdom" God I hope so!

@ F&F, back at ya! You have a good one, too!

@ Jamie, much obliged for stopping by. Please don't be a stranger!

@ Clmike, LOL! You know you full of it...but I still love ya! But, you know you ain't right!

@ Mrs G, I'm hearing you! Have a good one!

November 14, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Big Mama is sho'nuff sangin' this song!

Whew! I feel like I need a glass of brown liquor and some bar-b-que after this one...

Excellent!

November 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM

@ Ms Marva, now that sounds real good right about now!

November 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM

That was hot! It was all jazzed up and funky!!!
Great choice!

November 14, 2008 at 9:53 PM

I agree with Mrs G. Big Mama puts a whole different spin on this. I love her voice.

November 15, 2008 at 5:43 AM

keith: I used to go to the Checkerboard Lounge as well as a place called Theresas, another Southside blues bar. During that time (the early 1970's), Buddy Guy was part of Junior Wells band; and they played at Theresas a lot. Also, they sold pickled pig feet at the bar.

I still love Mama Thornton and the blues of the 60's and early seventies.

November 15, 2008 at 11:40 PM

These chiren think they know about music! I haven't heard that in awhile.

Good choice sistah/woman!

November 16, 2008 at 8:54 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45