Sojourner's Place

sunday inspiration...the commissioning of a new "joshua"  

Posted by SjP in ,

After wondering in the wilderness for 40 years, God told Moses:

But commission Joshua and encourage and strengthen him, for he will lead this people across and he will cause them to inherit the land that you will see.

And in that 40th year, the Lord said to Joshua, the Egyptian:

Be strong and courageous, for you shall bring the sons of Israel into the land which I swore to them, and I will be with you. Deuteronomy 30:23

Joshua was selected by God because he was special. Joshua's faith and trust in God was unwavering. When others doubted the Israelites ability to do the unthinkable to enter Jericho, Joshua remained strong and courageous. And Joshua said to the people in that 40th year:

Do not give a war cry, do not raise your voices, do not say a word until the day I tell you to shout. Then shout!... When the trumpets sounded, the people shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed...

Forty years ago, America was in a wilderness of inequality, overt racial discrimination, and undisguised intolerance. On Tuesday, November 4, 2008, our Jericho walls collapsed. I believe that Barack Obama - just like Joshua - has been commissioned by God to lead us all to the promised land - A MORE PERFECT UNION.

On the eve of his death, 40 years ago, Martin Luther King said:

We've got some difficult days ahead. ..I've been to the mountaintop...I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

Days before his death, 40 years ago, Robert F. Kennedy said:

There is no question about it. In the next 40 years a Negro can achieve the same position that my brother has.

Moses saw the promised land; but did not enter. Martin saw the promised land; but did not enter. Bobby saw the promised land; but did not enter. On November 4, 2008, Barack Obama lead the charge the wall tumbled and collapsed and we as a Nation entered the Land which has been promised.

Our 40 years of wandering is over! A new Joshua has been commissioned!


Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP


Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, November 09, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

4 sojourners hollin' back

thank you, sojourner. a truly inspiring post. i can't believe this - that a president of the united states would bring me to tears over and over again ...

November 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Hi SjP!

This is so on point with regard to the promise, rise and achievement of Obama.

I first heard Andrew Young speak about Obama inside this analogy, alongside talking about himself being "of Egypt."

It's always so very moving to look at the historical significance with today's glory. It's an incredible time just to be alive.

November 9, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I thank you too, SjP...a very inspiring post indeed!

November 9, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I'm with you SjP on Joshua and Obama. Great minds think alike, don't they? (LOL)

November 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45