Sojourner's Place

old school friday...high school pomp and circumstance  

Posted by SjP in ,

Oh Yeah! It's FRIDAY!!! And that means it's time for some old school jamming and having a par-tay in the blogosphere! This week's theme is Song From The Year You Graduated High School. Well, if you must know, I graduated from high school way back in the day. It was a time when if asked "WHAT TIME IS IT?" the resounding reply was "ITS NATION-TIME, MY SISTER/BROTHER!".

Little did we know that 39 years later it really would be a NATION-TIME of sorts...and the music back in that day was bumping!Hope you enjoy two of my personal favorites from 1970, the year I graduated from high school.




Led Zepplin Whole Lotta Love Uploaded by avajra



Superbad by James Brown loaded by Windfire1010

Check out the rest of the "old schoolers":
AJ - Believer 1964 - BklynQueen’86 - Bria - CC Groovy - Chocl8t - Cooper - Shawn - Danielle Vyas - Dee - DP - Fresh and Fab - Hagar’s DaughtersInvisible Woman - John - Keith -
Kevin - Kim - LaKeisha - LaShonda - Lil Creole Pimp - Lisa C - Mahogany - Malcolm - Marcus - MarvalusOne - Mike - Mrs. Grapevine - MsLadyDeborah - Pjazzypar - Pop Art Diva - Quick - Regina - Revvy Rev - Shae-Shae - Sharon - Staci - Tha Connoisseur - Thembi -
Villager - Vivrant Thang - Zenobia

Mrs. Grapevine and Ms. Marvalus are the creators of this bloggie meme. Click here for more info and join the fun.

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP


Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Friday, January 09, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

13 sojourners hollin' back

Great songs1 I love the Led Zepplin cut!

January 9, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I almost went with Mother Popcorn by James Brown. He is the greatest! And we also came of age with Led Z and others from England who fused rock with funk, soul, and reggae. You are well-schooled. I like your take on this! Happy OSF!

January 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Anonymous  

Sojourner you almost got me in trouble with these!

I had to run and close my office door just so I could cut a few joyful steps on the floor before straightening my tie and shaking it off. Super Bad???

And Led Zeppelin too? "Whole Lotta Love" was actually the first Led Zeppelin tune I ever heard. A girlfriend played it for me at her house down the street, and I've been a huge fan ever since.

Great picks!

January 9, 2009 at 10:03 AM

There is just something about Robert's voice that I love. He sure knows how to get to you in a funky-rock way. And as for James, well he is the Godfather and all!

Happy OSF!

January 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Led Zeppelin makes me remember when I got my own radio and so branched out beyond the R&B stations. I'd be in bed late at night listening to rock music. It was one more thing that made me different from most of my schoolmates, and so when I came across another black kid who listened to rock as well as R&B, I thought I'd met a kindred spirit. :-) The older I got, however, (or is it the older my classmates got?) the less I seemed like the oddball.

James is always a winner.

Are you choosing themes yourself, or are they posted someplace online? This is my first time participating in OSF.

January 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Though this song is a little before my time, I have always liked James Brown as a performer. I love the confidence he displays.

January 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I like the Led Zeppelin...but you had both me and my son up and dancing around to the JB!

"I got soul...I'm Supabad!!!"

Yeah!

Happy OSF!

January 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM

@ Regina, LZ is doing it ain't they?

@ Revvy Rev, "You are well-schooled"...much obliged! Very much obliged!

@ Keith, I hear you! I was doing a whole lot of head shaking on LZ - but when it came to JB...well, I was over here bustin a move and remembering parties at the frat house!

@ TC, well you know I do like the "funk" and when some real good rock is added to it - well it just don't get too much better than that.

@ VP, I know exactly what you're talking about. I got introduced to LZ because I was participated in activities that very few Black students were involved. That's when I got into LZ and introduced him to my Black friends. Then when I went to college, everybody was listening to LZ! Those were the days!

@ Counselor, "before your time"...LOL... Now, I feeling real old school!

@ Marva, LOL! Would have loved to have seen that JB duet!

January 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

It's hard to keep still when JB is doing his thing. Happy OSF.

January 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Led Zeppelin...you went in on that one! Great choices!

January 9, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Excellent picks. I almost went with James, but decided against it since a used his music a couple of weeks ago. Led Zeppelin is always awesome. Happy Belated OSF!

January 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Good choices the whole 70's next to the later part of the 60's was great for music.

January 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM

@ HG, I hear you! I'm still dancing!

@ Kim, I do love LZ. They were in my neck of the woods a couple of months ago - but couldn't get my Best Half to go see them :>(

@ PJ, James is always a good choice!

@ Mike, I love the music of the late 60s and 70s. It was certainly an interesting mix.

January 10, 2009 at 2:17 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45