Sojourner's Place

the last shall be first  

Posted by SjP in ,

I recently sojourned across this story. Although there is no indication as to the truth of the story, but given the setting in which the story takes place, it could be.

On a British Airways flight from Johannesburg, a middle-aged, well-off white South African Lady has found herself sitting next to a black man. She called the cabin crew attendant over to complain about her seating.

"What seems to be the problem Madam?" asked the attendant."Can't you see?" she said " You've sat me next to a kaffir. I can't possibly sit next to this disgusting human. Find me another seat!"

"Please calm down Madam." the stewardess replied. "The flight is very full today, but I'll tell you what I'll do-I'll go and check to see if we have any seats available in club or first class.

"The woman cocks a snooty look at the outraged black man beside her (not to mention many of the surrounding passengers).

style="font-family:trebuchet ms;">A few minutes later the stewardess returns with the good news, which she delivers to the lady, who cannot help but look at the people around her with a smug and self satisfied grin:"Madam, unfortunately, as I suspected, economy is full. I've spoken to the cabin services director, and club is also full. However, we do have one seat in first class."

Before the lady has a chance to answer, the stewardess continues..."It is most extraordinary to make this kind of upgrade, however, and I have had to get special permission from the captain. But, given the circumstances, the captain felt that it was outrageous that someone be forced to sit next to such an obnoxious person."

With which, she turned to the black man sitting next to the woman, and said: "So if you'd like to get your things, sir, I have your seat ready for you..."

At which point, apparently, the surrounding passengers stood and gave a standing ovation while the black man walks up to the front of the plane.

Source

In reading the story, Matthew 20:15-16 immediately came to mind: Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good? So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Black News Junkie ~ ~ Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Thursday, May 07, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

8 sojourners hollin' back

he just chuckles at the picture that goes with this story. that picture can be illustrative of more than what you are depicting it as. it just shows how one's attitude in life can be deceiving and result in a false perception of our own and other's behavior. :)

May 7, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Justice was certainly served in this case. Love this story.

Please stop by when you can, there is something for you at my blog.

May 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Better than I thought.
I thought that she would be moved to first class with a cabin full of Black African businessmen.
But this way - she gets her wish, and the Black dude gets free beverages and a warm towel.

May 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Touche!

This is a good story. I enjoy reading stories in which true justice is served.

May 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Great story!

May 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

This is absolutely excellent, and a great companion to the biblical verse. There should be a book of such stories. :-)

May 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

@ The Griper,

Actually Griper, I think you are exactly correct as it certainly does show how one's attitude in life can be deceiving and result in a false percepton of our own and other's behaviors. Once again we agree :>)

@ Shirl,

Yes, justice was certainly served and will do...

@ UB John,

I thought an even better ending would have been if he actually been the pilot of the plane.

@ Twin,

Figured you like this one.

@ PPR Scribe & VP,

Couldn't agree more!

May 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Anonymous  

I liked this story.

May 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45