Sojourner's Place

old school fridays...remakes  

Posted by SjP in ,

This week's Old School Friday's Theme is Remakes. I had much fun combing YouTube for just the right song and I certainly think I hit the jack-pot with this week's selections.

The Remake I selected, was first recorded by
Brenda Hollaway in 1965 by - you guessed it - Motown. It was the jam back in the day! Although re-recorded by Alicia Keyes after 1999, hope this still qualifies for OSF- because this cut, by both of these soulful songbirds, still packs a punch right at your heart!



Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner('s Place) ain't got nothing more to say. ~~SjP


Mrs. Grapevine and MarvelousOne are the creators of this bloggie meme.

Here’s how to play:

THE RULES:

1. ANYONE CAN PARTICIPATE

2. OLD SCHOOL IS DEFINED AS MUSIC CREATED BEFORE 1993

3. NO OFFENSIVE WORDS ALLOWED, PLEASE USE EDITED RADIO VERSION

4. POST A VIDEO OF YOUR FAVORITE OLD SCHOOL SONG TO TAKE US BACK DOWN MEMORY LANE

5. ADD YOUR NAME TO THE MEME LIST SO THAT OTHERS CAN CHECK YOU OUT

6. HAVE FUN & DON’T FORGET TO COMMENT

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Friday, May 16, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

17 sojourners hollin' back

classic - great tatse sister

May 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Awesome!

You have wonderful taste in music!

May 16, 2008 at 12:21 PM

i love alicia keys, but that classic motown sound makes the brenda holloway version special. thanks for finding it!

May 16, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Hello I am a Multimedia Producer In Charlotte, NC. I recently visited the Jackie Robinson web site and I was really inspired by his story. I put together a presentation using a number of your Photos and audio clips for a video presentation currently named Jackie Robinson "The Great Experiment???" The presentation can be found at www.stratworldtv.com/jackietv.htm

May 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Hey there SJP!
What an excellent choice! I love both versions but I think I prefer Alicia Keys version a little more!

Have a great weekend!

May 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Alicia Keys kicks the remake...

peace, Villager

May 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Anonymous  

Very interesting choice. Another one that edumucated a sista :) I had no idea.

I have to vote no on AKeys remake. Her voice is not strong enought to carry the song like Brenda. Plus like another commenter said, you just can't beat that Motown sound!

May 16, 2008 at 5:08 PM
Anonymous  

This is my first time hearing this song, I'm not a big Alicia Keys fan musically, but I like Brenda Hollaway. Alicia Keys version is not bad, but the original in this case is best.

May 16, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Much obliged to everyone for stopping by and jamming with me for a while...SjP

May 16, 2008 at 5:36 PM
Anonymous  

I remember AK's version but never knew who recorded it first! You learn something new every day!! Great choices!!!

May 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I loved both picks, brend kills it! Thanks for visiting...don't be a stranger!

-LaKeshia (Kreative Talk)

May 16, 2008 at 9:01 PM
Anonymous  

SJP, I had no idea this song was a remake. Both talented women killed this song!!

You have wonderful taste in music!!

May 17, 2008 at 1:42 AM

You reached deep for this one. I remember dancing to my cousin's 45 - LOL! Happy OSF and have a great weekend SJP.

May 17, 2008 at 2:01 AM

SjP,

Good choice, you went to well with that one. I've got a ten y.o. Alicia Keys fanatic around here, so I'm going with her version, barely. You just can't beat that old Motown.

May 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM

First time hearing that song. I'm partial to Alicia's version. She reaches deep down and delivers it.

May 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM

DP & Believer - much obliged for the visit...hope to see you again, soon. I like both versions, but the BH version brings back some real old school memories for me, so guess I gotta go with Motown.

SjP

May 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Talk about instant flashback!

As soon as I heard the opening notes on the Brenda Holloway version, I was back at my favorite record store counting up my change and the taxes with my girlfriends, singing with her like I knew what she was talking about!

I believe that I wore the grooves off that single!

AK's remake is alright too!

Great choice SjP!

Oh by the way~I'm in nect week!

May 18, 2008 at 1:00 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45