Sojourner's Place

is gay marriage the right fight for african americans?  

Posted by SjP in

I was listening to Tell Me More this morning on NPR on my way to My Side of the Plantation. The focus of this morning's conversation gay marriage as California became the first state to offer marriage licenses to same-sex couples.


The broadcast raised the question of whether or not the fight to recognized same sex marriage was a fight in which the African-American community should be involved. The Rev. Yvette Flunder and Monica Trasandes, leaders in California's gay community, discuss how the news is being received by communities of color, and whether gay marriage is the "right fight."

Here's the broadcast. What do you think. Is this our fight...should it be?




Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner's Place ain't got nothing more to say.

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Tuesday, June 17, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

6 sojourners hollin' back

Hello,

As a minister, I believe that ALL Americans should be treated as equals in society. All Americans should abide by the same laws and have the same laws applied to them.

We can not call ourselves Christians and refuse to advocate for equality.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

June 18, 2008 at 3:21 AM

I second that emotion, Lisa. The fight for equality and against injustice is EVERYBODY'S fight.

Adults in committed relationships who love each other and want to get married should be allowed to marry.

June 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I can't see any group who has suffered from inequities looking the other way on this issue. The level of homophobia in the African-American community is palpable. Rallying for same-sex marriage can only show support for those within the AA community who seek equal protection for their relationships. Leaders within the community need to tackle the issue of homophobia which has already had a negative effect on the community when it comes to AIDS.

June 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM
Anonymous  

SjP, thanks for asking for my input over at Birmingham Blues. I'm with the other commenters and with Dr. King on this one: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." It hasn't been that long since Loving v. Virginia, and there are many people in the black community who remember the days before that barrier came down. This is just one more we have to break through together.

June 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Much obliged to you all for commenting on this post. I don't believe that anyone should be discriminated against in any way. I must admit, however, that I'm not really sure of my own stance on gay marriage which, is the reason I invited comments.

But, I do know that I believe that when 2 single people establish a committed long-term relationship that they should in fact enjoy the same benefits as those who are married. I've seen too many folks in common law unions who are deprived of health, education, and insurance benefits because they aren't "married" in the legal sense. To me this is just wrong. So, I guess I must be in favor of same sex marriages as a means of stopping discriminatory practices particarly as these practices relate to benefits.

I do not agree, however, with moves to remove husband, father, or other gender-type identifiers from marriage licenses, birth certificates, etc. Rather that to remove such designations I think there should be options provided as to how one might elect to be identified.

Much obliged again for your comments and insight.

SjP

June 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM
Anonymous  

I think if we've learned to connect the dots, justice is fair for everyone. I happen to be black and a lesbian. I'm an older woman who has not been allowed (in my own country) to have a relationship/family that is recognized. I'm living in England because my relationship is recognized in this country. Black people need to quit pretending that black gay people are not part of the black community - and that we don't deserve equal treatment. All of us are expected to fight for everything black, yet I can't expect support from many black people on my having the same benefits and rights that they take for granted.

September 23, 2008 at 5:46 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45