Sojourner's Place

wordless wednesday...what does one look like?  

Posted by SjP in , ,

This Wordless Wednesday is my attempt to come to grips with our - my - use of the n-word. I'm conflicted...but when I look at these images, my confliction turns to anger and remorse.

Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner's Place ain't got nothing more to say.



Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Thursday, June 26, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

4 sojourners hollin' back

Anonymous  

What always amazes me about images is how, despite the prevalence of segregation, Black images were ubiquitous in white homes, through these highly problematic caricatures on placemats, tablecloths, in their cabinets and their freezers, on their walls, and on their front lawns.

June 25, 2008 at 4:20 PM

SjP,
In my hometown there is an exhibit that goes on display at the MLK Center Gallery of this type of black imagery.

The owner of the collection is an African American. It is really a mind blowing view of how black people were seen by whites.

I took my Head Start class and their parents to view the pieces. Many of my mother's were almost reduced to tears because they had no idea that those types of images existed.

My maternal grandparents were born in 1898/1899. They would often talk about these types of products and views that depicted Negroes in the worst possible way.

My grandfather forbade the use of the word nigger in his presence or household. And it is not hard for me to understand why it was not allowed by him. He came up in Virgina and he was a Race Man.

I believe that we have to be aware of this type of imagery. It still lurks in the minds of those who do not consider us to be decent human beings.

Ironically, some of the biggest creative offenders of negative imagery are black people.
*sigh*
But I do feel you on the pictures.

June 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I think I'm becoming a convert on taking the n-word out of my own vocab and psyche. If for no other reason that I don't want folks thinking they can use it simply because I do as an excuse. I'm getting there...I'm getting there!

SjP

June 26, 2008 at 11:58 PM
Anonymous  

It's hard to see the n-word in print. It's hard because it's done non-nonchalantly, as if no one is being hurt by it, that's just the way things were.

June 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45