Sojourner's Place

the godfather and the debate  

Posted by SjP in ,


The long awaited first debate between Obama and Lt. Dan is now history. As I attempt to digest last night's proceedings, I find myself remembering quotes from my all time favorite 3 movies - The Godfather I, II, & III.

So, with that in mind, here's my take on the debate with just a few Godfather quotes to remember and live by:

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." It really bothered me last night when Barack continued to "agree" with Lt. Dan on many of issues. I wondered why he would concede any points to Lt. Dan. Then I realized that Barack, in his shrewdness, was keeping his enemies closer by not going on the attack. As as the pundits have been reporting, he was showing his ability to work across enemy Party lines. Albeit subtle - it was indeed a brilliant move as the pundits had to put a swing to the possible rationales in doing so. Now, Lt. Dan looks as if he is not one to build consensus, give credit where credit is due, and is willing to be an a$$hole even if its at the cost of America and her citizens.

"Do you know how their gonna come after you?" Well he knows now. Barack knew that all he had to do last night was to hold his own. He let Lt. Dan continue to shoot his best shots by saying "Senator Obama doesn't understand" line. That line will only go so far during the next debates. Now, he's put out an ad that has a life expectancy of about a week until it that very same line is turned on its head when Biden debates Palin. In fact, I predict that for every answer the Ice Queen delivers, Biden will retort "Gov. Palin does not understand..."


"My father taught me many things." Should one forget or not know, Chicago politics is probably the most ruthless and powerful in the Country. This is where Barack received on the job training and he continues to have members of the most powerful political machine in the Country as advisors. Remember, Daly will be mayor for life or until he decides he's ready to turn over the reigns to someone else named Daly.



"F*ck Michael Corleone," what do we do with a piece of s*it like that? He's a fucking dog." Lt. Dan could not bring himself to look at Obama during the entire debate. The way I saw it, he was even hesitant to shake Obama's hand. That translates to "f*ck Barack Obama" and his surrogates have so much as said so. In fact, they've been saying that there was really no need to "look" at Obama because he could look right through him. Hmmm...so what do we do with a piece of s*it like that? "I say we take Lt. Dan OUT!" But, Obama is no doubt saying Never let them know what you're thinking.

"He was stupid. I was lucky. I'll visit him soon." Barack held his own in an area that is clearly not his strong suit, foreign affairs and policy. He was Presidential and didn't really give Lt. Dan anything to build or break Obama down on. Obama continues to be ahead in the polls and many of the battleground states are leaning his way. Lt. Dan - the military tactical and strategical expert - shot his wad last night and Obama escaped without even a scratch. So, yes, at least in my opinion, Lt. Dan was stupid...Obama was lucky...and you can be rest assured that Obama will put a hurting on him when he's visits him again during the next 2 debates.


Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old SjP ain't got nothing more to say.

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Saturday, September 27, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

9 sojourners hollin' back

Obama's in. McCain is out! McCain pissed me off with that cheezy condescending smile he plastered across his face.

September 27, 2008 at 5:00 PM

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."

I didnt see it that way, I saw it as Obama trying to make peace in the middle of a prize fight.

McCain was basically calling him an idiot with all this "naive" nonsense and Obama didnt check him enough for it.

I thought that hurt Obama.


"Do you know how their gonna come after you?"

Yeah he does and it was pretty much a

"Gov. Palin does not understand..." Now that was too funny.





"F*ck Michael Corleone," what do we do with a piece of s*it like that? He's a fucking dog." Lt. Dan could not bring himself to look at Obama during the entire debate.

Lol I noticed that too.

"He was stupid. I was lucky. I'll visit him soon." Barack held his own in an area that is clearly not his strong suit, foreign affairs and policy.

I think McCain was more stupid than Obama lucky, didnt bother mentioning an exit strategy, or a plan for Pakistan while shooting down Obama for wanting to "talk".

I would call it a draw.

September 27, 2008 at 5:56 PM

@ Blog Queen, I hear you and couldn't agree more. I just wanted to come throught the tv and snatch his grey a$$ baldheaded.

@ Clnmike, "peace in the middle of a prize fight" Good analogy. I can get with that cause remember "the rope a dope". We all thought Ali was hurt, too. LOL

Now in keeping with the boxing analogy, a draw ain't so bad in a heavy weight campionship bout when you ain't the one with the belt. Don't you think? :>)

September 27, 2008 at 6:21 PM

The more I read and watch, the more I think that Obama is a smart so-and-so...

He didn't need to check The Old Dude...all the times that Obama was saying "You're right," he would follow it up with why they differed and lay out his plans and thoughts...it was quite brilliant. Of course, the MSM can't get past the agreeing...but those of us who were paying attention know.

I think the fact that The Old Dude took on this condescending, smirky, I'm better than you attitude will kill him. He did not look like he would be willing to "reach across the aisles"...how could he, if he could not even look at his opponent, and then not even meet him center stage for the cordial shaking of hands afterward?

Folks pay attention to sh** like that...

It might have been a draw, but the draw tilts in Obama's favor...

September 27, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Did you notice that not once during the entire evening did Senator McCain look at Senator Obama? Not once. It was really weird. Even when they were shaking hands before the debate started he wouldn't look at him. He was looking at someone at the side of the stage and smirking, like "See? I told you I could touch him."

September 27, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Ms Marva, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! Barack is smart. Very smart. Just think about all the times during this campaign that we've wanted him to just come out swinging and b*itch slap some folks. But what did he do? He stayed cool, calm, and collected. And then when the time was right - well all we all could say is D*MN! I guarantee McCain will pay for this and pay dearly. Look what happened to Hillary and Bill and they in the same party so what he think he gon do to an old a$$ republican. Its gon be on!

September 27, 2008 at 10:54 PM

@ Len, another Godfather quote to learn by "Never hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement". I'd say that Mc's judgement right in through here is very, very, clouded.

September 27, 2008 at 10:56 PM

I love this website! It's Awesome! please keep the Gospel going! Thanks Tara

October 23, 2008 at 7:02 PM

@ Tara, much obliged for your kind and encouraging words. I'm just over here trying to do my best with telling the truth the way I see it. Come by soon! What's your website and I'll add it to my blogroll?

October 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45