Sojourner's Place

today, i voted...and cried  

Posted by SjP in ,

This evening, I was drawn to a post with a graphic stating "I Voted Today and Cried" (not the one to your left). Because I too, cried when I voted today. I anticipated that the blogger's tears and mine were as a result of having voted for Barack Obama. Much to my surprise, however, our votes were not the same, as "none of the above"-type vote was the vote cast by the blogger.

I certainly respect the blogger's right to cast the vote based upon the clear and concise reasons stated. But, I must say that I was deeply saddened by that decision. Even my sadness, however, could not negate the fact that one of the greatest gifts we have is the freedom to vote for our leaders. Our right to vote is a gift for which struggle, tears, and even blood were the price. We have the gift of being able to engage in a revolution of sorts to say "enough is enough" or "its all good" or to even "none of the above".

Having said that, however, the following is a repost of the comment I left to the blogger who exercised the gift and right to cast a vote, albeit different from my own:

I, too voted today and cried. I cried because today my daughters voted for the first time. I cried because today I voted for a man I believe to be better suited for this nation than his opponent. I voted for a man…and only a man…that I pray will live up to his desire to make this a better nation for my daughters. Who did I vote for? Does it really matter? I voted for a man…and only a man…who, in the end, will be judged by the same standard and measure that we all will be judged and measured.

It has always bothered, saddened, and even infuriated me that as an African-American you must be better than, smarter than, grander than others in order to be validated. You must walk in two worlds to be Black enough and not too Black. You must please everyone, agree with everyone, and be down but not too down. Yet, others not of our hue do not have to do the same.

In the history of this Nation, no other presidential candidate has been held up to such scrutiny. No other presidential candidate has been required to throw or not throw an associate under the bus. No other presidential candidate has been required to defend his judgement, integrity, or family. No other candidate, not one. And why? Is he not a man and only a man as each of the 43 other presidents of this nation? Why must he be held to a higher and different standard or measure.

Today, I voted for a man…and only a man…who I believe is the best candidate in this presidential election. In the past, I have voted for the man…and only a man who I believed was the best candidate in that presidential election. Today, I voted and cried because I voted for Barack Obama who is a man and only a man.
Yes, today I voted. Today, I voted without reservation or concern. Today I voted and cried. Today, I WAS PROUD!

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...



~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP





Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, October 19, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

15 sojourners hollin' back

Anonymous  

I'm glad you voted today. I pray everybody vote their conscious. There is no way. We People of Color can not or do not vote. Too many died for our right to vote!
Prayers and Positive thoughts to the Obama's and the United States of America!

October 19, 2008 at 8:08 PM

My sentiments exactly. Don't be a stranger, doors are always open at SjP's.

October 19, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Smiles and SPJ: I feel your joy but part of our freedom is to NOT vote if we so choose. It's not the smartest thing to be or the most responsible thing to do but it is a free choice.

In some authoritarian countries you're strongly encouraged to vote and vote the right way.
Truth is, for once, we've got someone to vote for rather than someone to vote against.

And that calls for tears of joy.

October 19, 2008 at 10:44 PM

@ Monroe, much obliged for stopping by.

I do agree with you that having the right the not vote is also a freedom we enjoy. But, I when I think about those who struggled and even died for our right to vote, I just find it difficult to understand why anyone would elect not to do so.

"Vote for rather than against" that is just one reason I cried...

October 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM

nice emotional post. i enjoyed hearing of the joy you felt. ty.

"No other presidential candidate has been required to throw or not throw an associate under the bus."

it wasn't required of him. he chose to do it.

October 20, 2008 at 5:47 AM

Beautiful post and heartfelt comment. I can't wait to cast my vote Nov 4th (no early voting here) I'm sure I'll feel the same way. Thanks for sharing!

October 20, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I am glad that you voted and voted EARLY. I was part of a live conference call Saturday evening with Barack Obama and pastors from around the country. Sen. Obama requested that we take advantage of early voting for the following reasons:
1. There will be long lines on Election Day. Even if you have time to wait in line, other people do not. Long lines will discourage young voters and new voters from voting, and we want everyone in the community to vote.
2. Voting early is safe and ballots are kept in a secure vault. It takes 2 keys, one Democrat and one Republican, to open the vault.
3. There may be bad weather on Election Day or other unforeseen issues, illnesses, emergencies, etc.

Our time is now. Do not wait.

October 20, 2008 at 10:35 AM

@ Griper, much obliged for stopping by. Don't be a stranger - doors are always open here.

Gotta disagree with you on the bus thing. He was "required" to make a choice. HRC demanded it, McCain demanded it, and in many ways, America demanded it. Yet, this same type of demand has not been required particularly of McCain when it comes to William Timmons, Liddy, or even Todd Palin. Looks like to me that he's been allowed to let them on ride on the bus with a free pass. But, that's just me.

@ Blog Queen, when it hits you when you push the button or pull the lever and cast your vote - I have no doubt that you will know exactly how I felt. It was a feeling that I will never ever forget.

@ Rev, much obliged for stopping by. Please don't be a stranger. As I'm sure you say every Sunday "The Doors are Open". {smile}

Much obliged for the h/t on the info shared during the conference call. I'll share it here at SjP's.

October 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM

oh i stop by a lot here. just don't comment much.

you can't declare something as a required choice. something required takes away from choice.

nothing required you to vote for Obama, you chose to vote for him. in fact i think you would resent it if someone "demanded" that you vote for him because you'd know that he was trying to take your "choice" away from you.

October 21, 2008 at 10:33 AM

@ The Griper, good to know you're a regular...You gotta a point. I'd be mad as hell! Gotta think about that choice versus required thing...

October 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Your comment was heartfelt and sincere.

We all must vote our conscience, and if that means not voting that's considered a choice as well.

Good discussion continued in the comments.

October 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM

believer,
choices in life need to be positive if you expect any good to come from it. not voting is a negative choice and nothing good ever comes from making negative choices.

October 22, 2008 at 6:10 AM
Anonymous  

I didn't really think my vote counted in the state of Texas, but I voted anyway. While Texas went to McCain, US went with Obama. I cried as expereinced history. He broke ground to prove you don't have to be stigma to run for president, but you have a strong stance in what you believe in.

I'm praying for President Obama as he takes the White House with his wife and beautiful children.

November 7, 2008 at 1:51 AM
Anonymous  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
February 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM

@ dghnfgj,

your comments are always welcome as long as they relate to the posts or contents of this blog. When they do not - they are remove.

SjP

February 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45