Sojourner's Place

sunday inspirations...the wisdom and truth of isabella baumfree  

Posted by SjP in , ,

One hundred and twenty-five years ago this week, Isabella Baumfree went "home like a shooting star" and it is fitting that I honor her life today on this Sunday Inspiration. Isabella is the inspiration behind this spot. Isabella is for whom this spot is named. With each post, I pray that I do not denigrate her spirit, her accomplishments, her honor, her integrity, or her unconditional and unwavering commitment to the truth.

Today, I present to you the words of wisdom and truth from Mrs. Isabella Baumfree also known as Sojourner Truth.

There is a great stir about colored men getting their rights, but not a word about the colored women; and if colored men get their rights, and not colored women theirs, you see the colored men will be masters over the women, and it will be just as bad as it was before.

So I am for keeping the thing going while things are stirring; because if we wait till it is still, it will take a great while to get it going again.

It is the mind that makes the body.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back, and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Truth burns up error.

Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

Religion without humanity is poor human stuff.

I am glad to see that men are getting their rights, but I want women to get theirs, and while the water is stirring I will step into the pool.

Truth is powerful and it prevails.

If women want any rights more than they's got, why don't they just take them, and not be talking about it.

I am not going to die, I'm going home like a shooting star.

Those are the same stars, and that is the same moon, that look down upon your brothers and sisters, and which they see as they look up to them, though they are ever so far away from us, and each other.

It is the mind that makes the body.

We do as much, we eat as much, we want as much.

The rich rob the poor and the poor rob one another.

If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...


~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP



Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, November 30, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

3 sojourners hollin' back

Now thats word.

November 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM

That was one preaching woman! Her words are so powerful.

Have a blessed work week.

November 30, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Sojourner Truth’s voice has a place in our generation as well.

December 3, 2008 at 2:52 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45