Sojourner's Place

old school friday...the blues  

Posted by SjP in ,

Oh Yeah! It's FRIDAY!!! And that means it's time for some old school jamming and par-taying in the blogosphere! This week's theme is "The Blues". Now when I think about The Blues, I'm always reminded about parties at my Aunt and Uncle's house. My Uncle loved The Blues. And we could always tell when the party was winding down - cause that's when BB and Muddy could be heard throughout the house.

My Aunt, who is not really a Blues fan, really liked the cut I'm presenting here today. Guess I did too because this was the first song that came into my mind. This artist has been featured here at SjP's before and she took many of you by storm. I have a feeling that she's going to do it again today.

I think Big Momma Thornton had a reason for singing the blues with that rat in her house, don't you? LOL

Mrs. Grapevine and Ms. Marvalus are the creators of this bloggie meme. Click here for more info and join the fun.

Check out the rest of the "old schoolers":

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Friday, February 13, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

13 sojourners hollin' back

Very interesting choice! This song should be played for some people in the political arena!

February 13, 2009 at 1:53 AM

After running Jazz and Blues clubs, I've gotten used to the Blues.
Old school cats love the stuff.
What's that song about the guy begging for his woman to come back ("Oh I....I, I, I , I,... I love you...., I need you...")
Even the toughest old school cat had to fight back the tears on that one.

But I've never heard this.

February 13, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Thoughtful choice. I agree with Regina. I smell a rat in the political winds of Congress. Big Mama Thornton, also a good Black History subject, a great pioneer.

February 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM

This is the perfect choice for a song with that old Greg Judd backing out the way he did. I smell a rat in Washington. How do you ask for a job and then say nah I don't want it because I do not agree with you. Nothing new in the Republican party its the same old gangster mentality. He backed out because his crew does not want to see Obama bridge the gap.

February 13, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I love Big Mama Thornton! Great choice. Happy OSF!

February 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM

OK I'm going to just show my lack of knowledge on Big Mama and say I never knew this was song by a woman. :-|

I am prepared for the schooling that shall commence today.

February 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Anonymous  

At quick glance, I thought it looked like an older version of Barack.

Great choice.

February 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Anonymous  

Hey Sojourner!

Girl you know you goin' way back on that one don't you? Big Mama was one of the originals, and I'm sure you know she's the one who actually wrote and sang the tune that helped make Elvis Presley famous, "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog". Everybody thought Elvis wrote that for the longest, but no. He was just another ina long line of "mainstream" artists who ripped off the originators.

Great choice!

February 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Anonymous  

You are taking it way back to the very beginning of women in blues. After seeing the play Ma Rainey's Blues, I learned a lot about blues and it's history, and many of the women that helped it get its start.

February 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Wonderful choice. Too often we forget about the people that created this music in the first place.

February 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I loooved that, "I smell a rat." I'm thinking about using it for a post I'm working on about signs of cheaters. :-) If I've ever heard it before, I don't recall when, and it's not the kind of song you'd forget.

As others have said, you can apply it to more than one life experience.

February 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Big Momma Thornton in the house, baby!

Such a classic history lesson in her music...amazing!

February 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Y'all forgive me for taking so long to respond. The rate I'm going it will be OSF again.

So glad y'all like my pick. Hadn't thought about the political arena when I posted - but, it sure did fit well with Judd. And unfortunately, I guess it fits with Burris.

D*mn! I hate that cause he's really a good guy or at least he use to be. Illinois politics...what can I say (but that's another post...)

February 17, 2009 at 9:28 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45