Sojourner's Place

it ain't gotta make sense...i just gotta make sure i get paid  

Posted by SjP in

Yesterday was Old School Friday and the theme was “Hard Day at Work”. Little did I know just how prophetic my DMX pick would be for the day on my side of the plantation. But, I’m going to admit that I was completely to blame for the type of day I had. Hell! I’m completely to blame for the last years.

I haven’t learned in my 56 years of life and 35 years of employment when to keep my mouth shut. I haven’t learned that having a college education along with a pretty impressive professional title does not entitle me to have an opinion. I haven’t learned to stay in my place and to never question those to whom I report or to definitely NOT disagree. I haven’t learned to “Just Be Glad that I Have a Job” rule. I haven’t learned that no matter what I say or do that I will always be discounted and characterized as “the angry Black woman” in the room.


So, I’m going to do all in my power to do everything I can to simply keep my mouth shut. I will stand by silently as those in authority lie. I will wholeheartedly nod my head in agreement as those who voice differing opinions, question, or don’t cow-tow to the powers are systematically targeted for unemployment. I will sit idly by as covert harassment and intimidation are enforced to cover the butts of those in charge. I will stop calling it like I see it when obvious manipulations and maneuverings are occurring. I will do all in my power to know and stay in my place.

As a colleague told me recently “It ain’t gotta make sense. I just gotta make sure I get my check”. But, my Mother always says “Right is Right and Right Don’t Wrong Nobody”. So, if my Mother is right and my colleague is also right – what do I do and still be able to live with myself?

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Black News Junkie ~ ~ Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Saturday, March 28, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

8 sojourners hollin' back

Justice Thurgood Marshall, while an attorney doing civil rights work in the south, wisely admonished a local black attorney who began to angrily confront the disrespect and insults of the local southern sheriff,by telling him "You can't help your people here if you are a DEAD attorney!"

Sometimes you have to bear things for awhile until an opportunity to deal with it in a different way presents itself. In other words, SOMETIMES you can help others best by protecting yourself or at least by not committing suicide.

March 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Anonymous  

I agree with Revvy Rev on this ... sometimes we are called to a place for a specific time, reason, and season. If you hold your peace long enough ... you'll be given a chance to speak out when the time is right. In the mean time pray what you aren't able to say.

March 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Rev & Straight Talk,

MUCH OBLIGED!!! I truly needed your words of wisdom on this. Your words are making me dig deeper than I really want to as I keep hearing the word "pride" resound through my brain. But, you both have - like the WORD - cut through the b.s.('cuse me Rev)and get right down to much of what I am feeling. I must get back to what I know is right - and that is "it ain't about me".

I have dedicated my life to trying to help others. To "leaving the pile higher than I found it". But, I forgot the most important rule and that is to pick the right battles in order to win the war.

Please know that your words have not fallen on deaf ears. I will pray that the Lord puts a guard over my mouth and when necessary and appropriate to put the words in my mouth to say. I know this is going to be hard for me to do - but, when two or more are gathered in His Name miracles happen. So, ya'll keep me in your prayers and I'm going to claim the miracle and the victory ::smile::

Again - much obliged!

March 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I have this same problem in the academy and sometimes my big mouf gets me in trouble! I guess you just have to pick and choose your battles. That's the lesson I've learned. Just because something is up for intellectual debate--and everything in the academy always is--doesn't mean you gotta put your two cents in. If it's something that is a serious issue of civil rights, ethics, etc. then speak up. If not, then keep your mouf shut. LOL! I guess you just have to define what serious is and what it ain't, and be willing to acknowledge and be truly honest about what it is that you will and won't accept. :-)

March 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM

SjP, no better advice than what is already here (tho the idealistic rebel upstart in me doesn't want to follow that advice either!). Just wanted to let you know this uppity gimpy white mama is with you in spirit. Keep making the world a little better as much as you can. There are very few folks in a place to help anyone by starving themselves on a hunger strike intentionally, don't go losing your livelihood on principles too quickly. Your heart will know if it's what has to be done to make true progress.

Been quietly following your posts but wanted to reach out a hand of virtual sisterhood on this one as you sounded like you needed a little more uplifting.

March 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM

@ Prof PC,

Much obliged! It is so good to know that Sojourners understand but more importantly who tell me the truth. Even when the truth is hard to sollow. oooo! but my mouf! ::smile::

@ Ahmie

Much obliged! Much obliged! Much obliged! I truly needed that uplifting and the virtual hug you have given me today.

March 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM

SjP,

I tend to have trouble keeping quiet about destructive nonsense at work. I agree that picking battles is key. I talked myself out of a job once, and as far as I know it didn't accomplish anything.

I think maybe in good times everybody has more leverage to change things. In bad times, not so much.

Anyway I'm pulling for you!

March 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Tom! So good to hear from you - my good virtual friend! I do so much appreciate your support and encouragement.

Words are simply not enough to express just how much you all are helping me get through this valley...

Much Obliged!

March 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45