Sojourner's Place

some things on my mind #6  

Posted by SjP in , , , ,

Got some things, that I just feel like sharing, rambling, or ranting about. So here goes:

1. Gotta start off with some much obliges to Mimi for presenting old SjP with theNoblesse Oblige Award and StaciPC and underOvr (aka The U) for Life is Grand Award. I will be passing on each of these awards in a future post, but I had to take the time to let Mimi, Staci, and The You know just how much I appreciate receiving them. I am always humbled when someone comments on this spot let alone finds it worthy of such an honor. Much Obliged to You All. Very Much Obliged!

2. God took six days to create a perfect world and it took George Bush 2,920 completely bring it down. Seeing as how President Obama is neither God nor George Bush, don't you think he should be given a little play here. After all the man ain't been in office but 42 days. Give That One some slack! He good...but he ain't that good. May take him a little more time to learn how to walk on water!

3. Personally, I am somewhat taken aback by all of the focus - good and bad - on what First Lady Michelle Obama wears or does not wear on her arms. People are unemployed, underemployed, broke, homeless, and hungry. But, yet on any given day you can read or listen to very heated debates about what the First Lady wears. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! But, what really gets me about all of this "coverage" is that it intentionally minimizes her as a First Lady who wants to have a positive impact in this role. And yet, regardless of the platform on which she speaks - the headline is always what she is wearing.

Then there is always commentary about how "special" she is or is not. The bottom line here is that in most ways - save one - Michelle Obama is just like any other woman who is supportive of her husband's dreams and endeavors who dotes on her children wishing and praying for only the best for them who attempts to maintain some semblance of sanity in her home and have a career. How many women do you know just like her? They are to be applauded for the untiring efforts to keep it all together. The difference for Michelle Obama is that she is now doing what she's been doing for the last 16 years in a fish bowl for all to see, watch, criticize, or laud over. And because of that fish bowl - maybe...just maybe...she is a role model for many African American women who thought only Claire Huxtable could "have it all".

So, to all those haters out there I say, leave the girl alone! When you become First Lady you do it the way you want to. In the meantime, let Michelle be Michelle and remember that while she don't walk on water either, she need some "sistah-support"!

4. A friend of mine was told me "that a lie is only a lie if you can get somebody to believe it". So, when Grose said that he was unaware of the racial stereotype that black people like watermelons and that he was making a joke of the stimulus plan by circulating the White House watermelon patch post card via email, he really wasn't lying. NO BODY BELIEVED HIS A$$ NO WAY! But, I warned ya'll that this kind of stuff was going to happen back in November. Told you to stock up on water cause there was going to be a lot of salty crackers around. Even though Grose has resigned, you gotta believe that this is just the tip of the iceberg. There will be much more to come. So, you better stock up on that water!

5. Octomom? Why? We know that she wasn't thinking - but what about the Doctor who made it all possible? I mean c'mon now! Just what did he expect to get out of this other than his medical license being revoked. Will somebody please tell her that Brad Pitt is taken and Angelina Jolie she is not!

6. Bobby Jindal: "I'll be the first to tell you I'm not nearly as good a speaker as the president. I think I removed any doubt of that Tuesday." (No shyt Dick Tracey and you lied on top of it!)

7. The 2012 London Olympics will be here before THEY know it! Remember, we are not the only ones fighting against racist and racial images. Those in the UK have to deal with it every day in the most overt ways. The golliwogs are sold opening throughout the UK and all too many do not see the harm in the creatures. Please, if you are so inclined please click the International Campaign Poster to the left to join the Fight Against these Effigies of Racial Hatred! Would also be much obliged if you would sign one or both of the petitions to ban the golliwog. You can find them here: UK Citizens: Go Here All Citizens of the World: Go Here

8. Well, guess I've ranted enough tonight. Gotta get a relatively good night's sleep to make to "my side of the plantation in the morning" where I have to deal with my very own Sarah Palin...wish me well!

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Black News Junkie ~ ~ Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Tuesday, March 03, 2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

12 sojourners hollin' back

All of these are excellent points SjP. We will pray for you and your "Palin" issue as well as for the President, who was given the controls of the Titanic and expected to perform miracles by waving a magic wand. We need prayer, patience, AND action.

March 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Golliwogs? I had not heard of them before reading here today. I apologize for not paying attention. But honestly, how in the name of all that is holy could ANYONE not see those things as profoundly racist and offensive?? This quite boring middle-aged white woman from rural Maine can see them for that. What kind of stupid does a person have to be to not get it? Good grief. Sojourn on, friend. Sojourn on.

March 3, 2009 at 8:30 AM

SjP,

I agree with you that there is an extreme amount of pressure (as well as expectations) on each member of the Obama family. I read a blog post recently that I seemed to take exception with The First Lady being a role model. Like you, I would say to all the backseat drivers, "stop blowing your horn and step on the brakes".

As far someone claiming to be ignorant of the connection associated between African Americans and watermelon, well, that flimsy logic comes from the same attitude as the cartoonist and editor at the NY Post who saw fit to publish an ape being executed by policemen with a caption about finding someone else to draft a economic stimulus bill.

Personally, I try not to get bent out of shape over this kind of stuff because it's not random. It's a recurring endemic attitudinal problem. It says to me that, "folks have a mindset that allow them to think more highly of themselves than they ought to think". This mindset will always diminish the value and humanity of the African American. People like that can not and will not allow legislation to change their thinking. That kind of change must occur from within.

I think I read an earlier post from you encouraging folks to pray for the First Family and this intercession can not be taken lightly. They need our prayers and this country needs our prayer as well.

Whatever one's religious views are, there is no documented evidence that "prayer is harmful".

underOvr

March 3, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I'm not counting on it but hopefully some of the BS will die down once the newness wears off. But then again we have the media-bleh.

March 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Anonymous  

Amen and can I just add that Bobby Jindal makes my butt hurt!

March 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Anonymous  

As to the amount of time spent on the first family -- it's no more or less than the time spent on other first families, it's just hitting a little closer to home for some of us. (I'm still not backing away from the cover up the arms for official portrait comment.)

I'm more surprised by the time spent on "octo-mom"; the babies are here, they need to be taken care of, so let's leave it be.

March 3, 2009 at 4:50 PM

What's up SjP!

We are just going to have to continue to PUSH for the nation and our First Family. Because we know how insane in the membrane many Americans truly are!

Michelle is holding it down! While looking good as she handles her business! That ability is above many folks mentality.
Too many individuals believed that they had the right to dictate how she would be the FLOTUS. But my sistah is doing great at showing them how she intends to work it!

We are old school sistahs
:-). We knew that no matter who was the first Black person to be the POTUS, that the fiyah would be hotter than hell about their performance. While many talking heads question if he is doing too much at once. I say, he definitely reflects the multi-tasking ability that so many Americans actually use on a daily basis.

I am not in total agreement with every move that has been made so far. Which is a good thing. I never was of the mindset that Obama should be the POTUS soley because of his race. I still believe that we need an energetic, well educated and productive individual to lead the nation. He fits the bill very well.

March 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Very good ranting points, SjP! And very worthy of getting it off your chest, I think...

Have you seen the picture of the book of monkeys in the middle of the Obama book display at the B&N? It's on Field Negro's blog...I'm shaking my head at the whole thing...I'm quite sick of all of this crap, really.

And who said that Pres was going to be able to fix this mess overnight? I'm glad most of us have some patience and are able to give him some time...

Michelle Obama...my favorite!

After watching Bobby Jindal and all of this going between Limburger and Steele, I'm watching them crumble...it's a little sad. What I can't understand is why they want to blame everyone else and not look within...but expect everyone else to accept responsibility.

Whatever...

March 3, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I agree that people need to play the back and give Obama more than 2 months to at least ATTEMPT to put the pieces together. Folks are so eager to jump on every little move he makes, but dang, give the man time to unpack already. Regardless of color, you cannot fix 8 years of the worst leadership ever in less than 60 days.

The reason people keep talking about Michelle's clothing is because they know it will get a response. Just ignore it.

Grose is a moron. He knows dag on well the watermelon "joke" was pure ignorance and he knew it would get a reaction.

March 3, 2009 at 9:00 PM

@ Revvy Rev

Amen to that! We definetly need to keep on PUSHing!

And much obliged for the prayer on my Palin issue! I really need it and that is the TRUTH!

@ Dawn:

Much obliged for dropping by and the follow. Please don't be a stranger as my doors are always open.

I had never heard of a golliwog(s) until a few weeks ago. I'm right with you as it is more than difficult to understand how anyone could not see that these dolls are pass offensive. I hope you signed the petition to have them banned.

@ The U

I think we may have "read" that same blog post. And must admit that it haunts me still. Throughout the scriptures and history, we learn that God uses ordinary people to do extrodinary things. And Michelle is no exception. It brings joy to my heart to know that this woman may be the inspiration to so many young women and girls to make a difference in their lives and the live of others. A role model? YES SHE IS!

I'm praying for the strength to ignore ignorance. But, Lord knows its hard.

@ Miles,

While I hope and pray that I will be able to ignore this kind of crap - that is highly unlikely. So, like you say its not likely to go away so we'll have to keep calling it out and telling it like it is.

@ Tabitha, LOL!!! I hear you my sister!


@ StraightTalk,

Gotta disagree with you on that. I've been a witness to every First Family since Eisenhower and never have their every move been covered like the Obamas. Media coverage, however, has certainly changed over the years and that is certainly one factor. The other factor is that America is knee-deep in a roseta-stone sociology crash course getting a glimpse of at least one aspect of being Black in America. So, I understand that as well as expected it to occur. But, I have to tell you that I personally find all of this "in your face" news and debate over what the FLOTUS wears pretty disconcerting. In the end it makes little to no difference at all. But that's just me.

Yes, the babies are here and must be taken care of. But, that does not negate the fact that there is something dreadfully wrong here and everything should be done to make sure that something like this does not ever occur again.

@ MLD,
You right! You right! I don't know who thought they would be able to dictate ANYTHING to a Black woman! Ain't that the reason most of us left our Mamma's house in the first place? Please! They better recognize!

The Obama's are focused and on a mission. I like that. While all crap is flying all around them they each are taking on the issues one by one and checking them off. They telling all the haters and pundits to "talk to the hand" and I love it!

I'm not in agreement either. But, I knew that would happen when I decided to endorse him. My feelings then as they are now are that I'm trusting him to surround himself with good thinkers, to listen to all sides, and to make the best decision for America and Americans - even when I might disagree. Don't think you can ask for more than that.

Marva,

Whew! Got that rant off my chest and then saw the B&N display at Field's spot. Damn! Damn! Damn! See this is the kind of crap I'm talking about. OOOOO! I WISH the B&N here would do that and let me see it. Ya'll would hear about me on the news!

We've got to give him time. And the FLOTUS is cool with me.

Limburger? Oh that is just too funny! I am so disappointed in Steele. I thought he might have a pair, but alas he does not. Like Flava Flav says - they are headed for self-distruction.

@ Hey Shae'

Yeah! I'm wondering what happened to the wedding night let alone the honeymoon.

I agree with you on that 100%. Seems to me that if "we" stopped taking the bait and "demand" meaningful coverage of what the FLOTUS is doing rather than what's she's wearing.

Grose is like is name...

March 3, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Anonymous  

The focus on what Michele Obama is wearing (or not wearing!)is hard to take. I did read one bloggers take on it though (on BlogHer) was that her bare, strong looking arms may serve as an inspiration to many to become more physically fit and establish her as a role model of fitness. Perhaps something positive from the shallowness of the media.

March 4, 2009 at 12:19 PM

@ Laura, was just thinking about you! Hope all is well. Just seems to me that there are much more important things to discuss here. It bothers me when the discussions about women turn to their clothes rather than what we actually bring to the table.

March 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45