Sojourner's Place

win the war? at what price?  

Posted by SjP in ,

Throughout the day, I have heard McCain's proclamation that he would rather win the war than win the presidency. I cringed every time I heard it because the images of of a war-torn land, displace families, wounded, dying, and dead Americans and Iraqis, and mayhem entered my minds eye. I ask, win the war? At what price? For what result? And what constitutes a "win" in Iraq?

McCain has often been characterized as a war-monger and his obsession with winning the war in Iraq could certainly be considered further evidence of this characteristic. But, I think not. I say this, not in jest, but in real concern for a human being who - in my opinion - is suffering from a type of self-loathing much akin to Lt. Dan in Forrestt Gump. As you might recall, Lt. Dan was from a military family. In fact, Lt. Dan's fraternal military ancestry could be traced from the Revolutionary War to World War II. Dan felt that it was not only his destiny - but his "right and privilege" to die a soldier's death - as his ancestors before him - in combat during the Viet Nam War. When his life was saved by Forrestt, he felt cheated of his destiny.

What does that have to do with McCain you ask? McCain, unlike his own military ancestral line in the wars prior to Viet Nam, saw very little combat spending 5 years in a POW camp. While It is reported - and one should suspect - that at any given moment McCain could have feared for his life - he was not exposed to the ground war, potential for hand to hand combat, land mines, sniper fire, and the like. In addition, he is unable, unlike his forefathers, boast with pride of being a soldier in an honorable war in which America was victorious.

I believe that this war in Iraq, represents to McCain a way in which he can re-write his military biography. A biography must end with Americans returning home amid thousands of confetti throwing citizens cheering a victorious end to the war. And while, he himself can't go into combat, he is willing to continue to sacrifice the lives of young American men and women for a victory for his own self-fillment.

But, I ask you. What exactly does winning the war mean? Does it mean that Iraq truly becomes a non-secular democracy? Does it mean that Iraq returns to be a sovereign government? Does it mean that Iraq will be an ally against Iran or Korea? Does it mean that Iran will become a friend of Israel? Does it mean that Al-Qaida or the Taliban will not attack American and if they do, Iraq will come to our assistance? Or does victory mean that we get their oil and maintain a military presence in that region?

Perhaps if I knew the answer to these questions, I would be less inclined to believe that Senator McCain, the Republican Nominee for the President of the United States, is because of his own self-loathing trying to make every aspect of his Viet Nam service (or lack there of) right in his own mind. But, until then, I guess that I'll keep thinking that he is delusional at best or a war-monger at worst.

Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old SjP ain't got nothing more to say.

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Wednesday, July 23, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

2 sojourners hollin' back

Dayum ... pulling out the Forrest Gump references! Your analysis seems on point in terms of his need to live up to the military heritage of his family.

However, I give him more of the benefit of the doubt. I think that being held in the Hanoi Hotel for 5 years trumps actual service in the war. He wasn't in a POW camp like in Hogan's Heros. He was mentally and physically tortured...

Anyhow, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. McCain isn't the right person for America this election cycle...

peace, Villager

July 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM

SjP,

Flipper was in Columbus today. I wanted to just wait until he came out of the hotel and just start shouting out questions. But I am sure that I would of ended up in jail.

I have been trying to understand how in the hell a man who can't even get his geographical regions of the world straight~keep insisting that he is the one to represent us during this critical time. We need to be seriously thinking about pulling out and letting Iraq take care of its business.

He's old but he's not too old to realize that the war was begun on a foundation of lies and deceit. So there is no reason in my mind to continue fighting. But when you are too old to do the work, I guess it is okay to encourage others to risk their lives. He really is a piece of work.

July 24, 2008 at 11:02 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45