Sojourner's Place

a lady always admits when she's wrong - steele is in  

Posted by SjP in , ,

Let me be the first to say that I was wrong. Completely wrong. The RNC has selected Richard Steele to head the Republican Party into the furture. Only time will tell, if Steele will be the true leader of the RNC and not just another Judas Goat as we saw with the Palin candidacy of the party to garner African-American support.

Steele already finds himself on an uphill climb to garner the support of his own party. After finally emerging the winner after six rounds of voting, it appears that Steele's staunchest opponent was Katon Dawson, chairman of the South Carolina GOP who had secured very strong support from party insiders.

After five rounds of balloting, the race for the chairmanship came down to a choice between Steele and Katon Dawson, the South Carolina GOP chairman who secured strong support from party insiders after former chairman Mike Duncan dropped out of the race after the third round of votes. (Source)
The former Lt. Governor of Maryland won the RNC seat with 91 votes from the 168-member committee to be named chair. A simple majority of 85 was all that was needed to win the honors.

The RNC seems to have a "monkey see - monkey do" mentality here that I hope does not back-fire in their faces. It will take more that putting an African-American at their helm to "prove" that they are diverse and willing to listen to and act on diverse thinking leading to action. They can't simply lean on the laurels of former Republicans deemed great in the eyes of many or contradictory in the eyes of a few. Billboards espousing membership in the RNC by renowned and revered civil rights leaders is in itself, a divisive recruiting technique that will fall on death ears. And as long as the mantra of the party remains "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" while they pull themselves "up by the my bootstraps and on my back", the Party will continue to look the way it does currently regardless of its leadership. It will take much more than rhetoric and much more than putting a black face at their helm.

I hope the RNC is truly wanting to turn the corner leaving behind their policies, strategies, and foundation that has divided the citizenry of this country for decades. I pray that they now realize as President Obama continues to say "There is no red America. There is no blue America. There is only the United States of America!" I hope they realize that this is much more than winning or loosing a political seat or 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. This is about our survival as a Country, as Americans.

I congratulate you, Mr. Steele. Now convince me why I - an African-American wife, mother, and professional should support all-things Republican. I'll be waiting...

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP



Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Friday, January 30, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

9 sojourners hollin' back

I personally am not surprised. After all the recent racial controversy I figured it would happen.

January 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM

They really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this one. How dumb do they believe the AA community has to be to go for this?

January 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Typical. They are late as usual.

January 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM

@ Raina, I'm surprised. I really didn't think they would go there. My concern now is whether or not its one of those 'we got Black friends" things.

@ TRochelle, They will soon learn that it takes more that putting a black face at the helm. He'll have to do the same thing as Barack had to do and that was to prove himself. I just wonder if he's up for it.

@ Shae', yeah...monkey see monkey do.

January 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I am not surprised one of the black guys won. The GOP is tired of geting its collective butt kicked all over the U.S. and in the court of public opinion.

While from a human perspective I'd like for Steele to be successful, I still recall some of the twisted stuff he said during the presidential campaign and that feeling quickly dissipates.

I hope this move to blackface the RNC in order to win votes actually backfires all up in their faces.

Black folks are not falling for this GOP okie doke.

January 31, 2009 at 3:27 PM

You have something waiting for you at my blog. Happy Saturday!

Noblesse Oblige Award

January 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM

The question is what going to change, an I am betting not a dang thing.

Which makes his selection insulting.

January 31, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I am like Raina, I am not surprised. You know I have to say this (or in this case write this), Some folks can't STAND YA..but they wanna always USE YA!

yup...and you know what the sistah is saying SJP.

February 1, 2009 at 1:11 AM

I have to say better Steele than Blackwell. That would been insult and injury all in one.

However, this is just as transparent as adding Palin to the ticket. I am not impressed with this latest GOP "upgrade".

February 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45