Sojourner's Place

remembering the prince...  

Posted by SjP in , , ,


El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (aka) Malcolm X
May 19, 1925 – February 21, 1965

Remembering You on the 83nd Anniversary of Your Birth!

In his own words...

The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

We want freedom by any means necessary. We want justice by any means necessary. We want equality by any means necessary.

I am not a racist. I am against every form of racism and segregation, every form of discrimination. I believe in human beings, and that all human beings should be respected as such, regardless of their color.

I believe in the brotherhood of man, all men, but I don't believe in brotherhood with anybody who doesn't want brotherhood with me. I believe in treating people right, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to treat somebody right who doesn't know how to return the treatment.

Did you ever talk to Brother Malcolm? Did you ever touch him or have him smile at you? Did you ever really listen to him? Did he ever do a mean thing? Was he ever himself associated with violence or any public disturbance? For if you did, you would know him. And if you knew him, you would know why we must honor him: Malcolm was our manhood, our living, black manhood!

This was his meaning to his people. And, in honoring him, we honor the best in ourselves. Last year, from Africa, he wrote these words to a friend: My journey, he says, is almost ended, and I have a much broader scope than when I started out, which I believe will add new life and dimension to our struggle for freedom and honor and dignity in the States. ~~ Excerpt from the Eulogy for Malcolm X delivered by Ossie Davis on February 25, 1965

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner('s Place) ain't got nothing more to say. ~~SjP

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Monday, May 19, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

6 sojourners hollin' back

Anonymous  

How wonderful to see such a great man remembered. I remember him well, seen him in person many times. I don't think we'll see the likes of him again in my life time, but i;m still praying.

May 19, 2008 at 7:30 PM

GA - I do envy you having had the opportunity to see Malcolm alive and in person. No, I don't think there will ever be another quite like him.

Much obliged for visiting SjP's.

May 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Anonymous  

Sister, thanks for reminding me that today is Malcolm's birthday! How could I have forgotten when I've been talking to my husband about it all week!

Lynn

May 19, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Lynn - you're very welcomed! I wonder what he would say today...don't you? SjP

May 19, 2008 at 10:18 PM
Anonymous  

Malcolm was truly a remarkable man. I named my first born son after him. The grace, nobility, pride and intelligence that he embodied will cause his name to live for ages. He was taken from us far to young, however he left behind him a rich legacy from which we can all still learn.

May 19, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Anonymous  

Sojourner, thank you so much for remembering Malcolm's birthday. I remembered him on the 43RD Anniversay of his assassination.

It is good to remember Malcolm's death, and to honor him so.

But, equally just as important is to remember and celebrate his birthday.

The day that gave us Malcolm the baby; Malcolm the child; Malcolm the man. . . .

. . . .Malcolm the revolutionary.

PEACE.

May 26, 2008 at 12:34 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45