Sojourner's Place

old school fridays...sad songs  

Posted by SjP in ,

When I saw this week's theme, I immediately thought of these two songs by the one and only Lady Day! The real one! I grew up on Billie Holiday as my parents often played her old 78 recordings. I loved her music, even though it always sounded so sad and haunting. Now, that I'm an adult, I know why - which gives just that much more to her lyrics and her voice. To the one who "changed the art of American pop vocals forever", I present to you the Lady, Miss Billie Holiday!



Good Morning Heartache


Strange Fruit


Holla Back!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner's Place ain't got nothing more to say.


Mrs. Grapevine and MarvelousOne are the creators of this bloggie meme.

Here’s how to play:

THE RULES:

1. ANYONE CAN PARTICIPATE

2. OLD SCHOOL IS DEFINED AS MUSIC CREATED BEFORE 1993

3. NO OFFENSIVE WORDS ALLOWED, PLEASE USE EDITED RADIO VERSION

4. POST A VIDEO OF YOUR FAVORITE OLD SCHOOL SONG TO TAKE US BACK DOWN MEMORY LANE

5. ADD YOUR NAME TO THE MEME LIST SO THAT OTHERS CAN CHECK YOU OUT

6. HAVE FUN & DON’T FORGET TO COMMENT



Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Friday, June 06, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

11 sojourners hollin' back

Lady Day's voice is haunting. It makes you sad even when you have nothing to feel said about.

Great choices once again.

BTW, I did just the opposite and posted "not" another sad love song.

June 6, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Wooo - You took it way back and came up with some true classics...

Lady Day haunts you with her voice...Excellent choices!

June 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Anonymous  

Miss Billie. The one and only who will NEVER be duplicated. She elaves me speechless everytime I hear that distinctive voice. Her gift for interpretation can not be matched.

June 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM
Anonymous  

So I'm going to stay on this blog all day, because of love Billie. It's just so beautiful. It doesn't make me sad, it makes me want to watch old movies like Sparkle or Lady Sings the Blues. Great choices, I found out last week that she was born in Philly.

June 6, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Wow!! while your page was loading I saw the picture first and already knew what was coming!! This lady needs to be in a category all by herself!!
Great pick, and 2 of my favorites by Billie!

June 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

YOUR SEL;CTIONS ARE REALLY OLD, WAY WAY BEFORE MY TIME,but still nice

todays theme is fantastic

have a nice weekend

xx

June 6, 2008 at 3:05 PM

HD & Ms Marva - I've always loved her voice. Its raw and filled with emotion and feeling.

Danielle- got that right...she's the true Queen of jazz, blues, and soul.

Regina - I hear you! That was just how I felt when I was searching for these 2 songs on YouTube. My heart skipped a beat!

F&F - come on now...not so many adjectives on the age of my picks this week. Told you I grew up listening to them on 78s...you're making me feel "really old" and "way before your time" :>). Glad you liked Lady Day!

Much Obliged All! SjP

June 7, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Happy OSF! My dad didn't have 78s, but, he had reel-to-reel tapes with many of these old school songs. He would set it up and sit in the living room listening and sharing these tunes with us. I appreciate your Lady Day songs ... as they give me a reason to think about my departed Dad...

Also, thanks for coming by to visit my OSF tribute to Sade!

peace, Villager

June 7, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Anonymous  

I love Billie and so many can relate to the difficult time she had in her life. She croones for all of us black women who have been there and back again.

June 7, 2008 at 9:43 AM

WoW Ms.Holiday has a wonderful voice
Truly a classy classic

June 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Hey there!!

Ooooh Lady Day....

She was such a deeply sad woman and that heaviness upon her heart just comes forth in her voice and it causes a quake in the spirit realm....

Wow....that sorrow within her bosom was so clear in her music...

May she be at rest now.

Thank you for honoring this remarkable songbird.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

June 8, 2008 at 1:46 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45