Sojourner's Place

Sunday Inspirations...pay attention  

Posted by SjP in

This week's Sunday Inspiration comes by way of the Christian Weekly Devotion by Pastor Bill. Remember to always pay attention no matter what!

Scripture: 2 Peter 1:19:

“We have even greater confidence in the message proclaimed by the prophets. You must pay close attention to what they wrote, for their words are like a lamp shining in a dark place—until the Day dawns, and Christ the Morning Star shines in your hearts.” NLT

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was the creator of the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Doyle evidently told of a time when he climbed into a taxicab in Paris. Before he could utter a word, the driver turned to him and asked, “Where can I take you, Mr. Doyle?” Doyle was flabbergasted. He asked the driver if he had ever seen him before.

“No, sir,” the driver responded, “I have never seen you before.” Then he explained: “This morning’s paper had a story about you being on vacation in Marseilles. This is the taxi stand where people who return from Marseilles always arrive. Your skin color tells me you have been on vacation. The ink spot on your right index finger suggests to me that you are a writer. Your clothing is very English, and not French. Adding up all those pieces of information, I deduced that you are Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.”

“This is truly amazing!” the writer exclaimed. “You are a real-life counterpart to my fictional creation, Sherlock Holmes!” “There is one other thing,” the driver said. “What is that?” “Your name is on the front of your suitcase.”

Perhaps the driver was no master detective, but he was observant! He paid attention.

I am often surprised by reading a passage from the Bible that I have read at least a dozen times before and “pop” it comes alive. What a difference it makes when I pay attention.

Prayer:

Father help me to pay attention to what You are saying. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!

Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old SjP ain't got nothing more to say.


Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, July 06, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

5 sojourners hollin' back

Amen, SjP!

What a wonderful story...and a reminder for us to pay attention...my eyes have been opened!

July 6, 2008 at 12:37 PM

This is good food for thought.

We often overlook the importance of paying attention to what is going on.
Details are important.

In our spiritual lives we are often prompted to look at the big picture instead of realizing that in the moment is often where our answers are waiting.

July 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM

Sorry I have been out of town most of the past month, but my traveling days are over, and now it's time to settle down for the rest of the summer. So I will have my Sunday post up this next Sunday. Sundays are my day off, but I can give a little love to you and God.

July 10, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Hi there SjP! {smiles}

I have encountered so many people who tell me they don't know what GOD wants from them and they don't know what GOD is saying....but GOD leaves His traces everywhere...in so many ways...I think that very often...we do not watch for the traces of GOD...we think that His footprints will look a certain way...and we miss seeing Him....

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

July 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM

God Bless You! I'm sorry that I missed reading this post last weekend. It is right on time this weekend as well for me...

My Sunday Inspiration meme is up & running this week. For some reason I was driven to Psalms 112 and I invite your blog readers to check it out.

peace, Villager

July 13, 2008 at 10:01 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45