Sojourner's Place

wordless wednesday...celebrating the declaration of independence  

Posted by SjP in , , , ,


We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
July 4, 1776
Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner's Place ain't got nothing more to say.



Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Wednesday, July 02, 2008 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

19 sojourners hollin' back

Hopefully one day these words will be COMPLETELY true.

July 2, 2008 at 9:09 AM

I love the picture you placed above the phrase. It's ironic that when people think of this phrase, they don't even consider thinking about the slaves who had to live under this contradiction.

July 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM

@ NBW, what is also ironic is that when crafting the DoI, the founding fathers considered but chose not to include any mention of the contradiction

@ Stuck, one day, one day...

July 2, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Hard to decide to include mention of slaves or (officially) give people of African decent the same independence when most of them (writers) did not see them as human.

What is really crazy is that there were many AAs around that were business owners and land owners during this time and up until slavery became really big in the nation. Then some of them were, too, relegated to slave status, or forced to flee for other nations in order to maintain their freedom.

July 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM

The problems of democracy.

They have plauged this nation's people since the national birthing began.

I have picture like this one. Only the people are bloodline folks. A captured moment while they were living a life in these United States.

Do you ever wonder what the ancestors would think about us now? Are we the people that they imagined we would be?

I look around and the stark reality hits me...there are people who have the same ethnic bonds as me...but I barely can recognize them as connected. Yet we are just that~connected.

July 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM
Anonymous  

Looking at that photo reminded me of a radio broadcast I heard a few weeks ago that mentioned the number of people taken from Africa and brought to, (or died on the way to), the "new" world. The numbers are staggering!

Funny how the link from my visit a few weeks ago is also on this post?

Thanks for your visit!

Happy WW.

July 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Much obliged Will. I've heard double-digit millions - but, we will never know just how many.

Your link appears from a few weeks ago because I seldom change the meme date. So everyone who's ever linked a WW continues to show up.

July 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM
Anonymous  

This is a wonderful photo. Viewed in the context of this passage from the Declaration of Independence, it represents a powerful irony. And yet it is also inspiring. Although they were not originally considered equals by the author of this document, our ancestors believed deeply in the power of these words.

Their faith in the power of the sentiments expressed, even when the author of these words failed to live up to their truth, is inspiring.

July 2, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Powerful image, especially given the current signs of the time. Very moving.

July 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Anonymous  

Hello, just blog hopping. Interesting blog by the way.
Wow, I like that image, reminds me of the photo I saw in my grandmother's house of her ancestors in South Carolina.
Yeah, July 4, just have to ask, who's independence am I celebrating?

July 3, 2008 at 4:56 AM

Awesome picture!!

July 3, 2008 at 11:36 AM

And I'm still holding out that this country will put this to practice for ALL of its citizens.

July 3, 2008 at 5:09 PM

@ Chocolate - please, don't be a stranger...doors are always open for you at SjP's.

@ Regina - I agree. It's a moving picture that says so much!

@ Hagar's Daughters - me too...me too.

July 4, 2008 at 2:03 AM
Anonymous  

"The pursuit of happiness" I love this phrase.

July 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM

@ BoC, yes and unlike the founding fathers our ancesters KNEW they were "men" and therefore CREATED EQUAL!

@ Sheila, from the slave quarters to the big house...The White House that is!

@ Tula, powerful words..."just words?"

July 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM

@ Stuck, it is true that slaves weren't considered "men" but property. But, there was discussion among Adams and Jefferson about slavery in the first drafts of the DoI. It was left out because of 2 primary reasons. First the all important dollar! Since America's wealth was being built on the backs of slaves to set them free would have depleted the labor needed to grow the economy. The second was that not not all of the states/colonies where in favor of independence - so any discussion of slavery was excluded for fear of loosing the support of the majority of the representatives. It is thought that the DoI was passed unanomously, which is not true. All of the states voted in the affirmative - however one (I think Deleware) had 2 reps and their votes were split.

Question...I'm assuming those AAs who were business owners at this time where not living in what we generally consider slave states. Right? Only ask cause I've never heard this before.

@ MLD, How wonderful (in a strange sort of way) that you have such a picture! Certainly brings home the reality of this part of (our) American history.

I doubt that our ancestors ever dreamed that they would be free, let alone that an African-American would...could...will be the next POTUS! H*ll! Even I didn't believe that I would or could ever see this day!

July 4, 2008 at 5:12 PM

A few sites on African American business owners. I couldn't find the books I've read about them, but stumbled upon these sites since I didn't want to give you info without backing it up somehow.

Not all the business owners were in "non-slave states"

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/news/hits/021114sla.htm

http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/encyclopedia/Man-Mix/Minority-Owned-Businesses.html

July 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Stuck, much obliged for the info. Will check out the sites. Would stand to reason though that there would be AA business owners in free and slave states as I think about it. I can see that. If they were "born free" or escapees and went to a slave state (why I have no idea) I can see how they would be enslaved because they wouldn't have any papers. If in a slave state, I suspect that it really wouldn't matter if they had papers or not...paper can be destroyed and/or not even honored. Much obliged again.

July 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Hey there! {waves}

What a powerful, arresting photo....wow....

{thumbs up}
Lisa

July 6, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45