Sojourner's Place

sunday inspirations...my country tis of thee  

Posted by SjP in ,

I attended an all white parochial Christian elementary school and as such, did not learn the Negro National Athem until much later in life. But, I remember going to my cousins' school programs where it along with My Country Tis of Thee was always sung in lieu of the National Anthem. I have always wondered why until today.

After voting yesterday, My Country Tis of Thee rang in my ears most of the evening. So, I thought it would be great to post Marian Anderson singing it in front of the Lincoln Memorial. In finding the video, I came across some amazing historical information that connected the dots! You see, My Country Tis of Thee is an anti-slavery
hymn. I encourage all Sojourners visiting here today to go here to read the the original versus of this hymn. It will bring tears to your eyes. Now, I know why this song was sung...We must know our past in order to understand our present and be ready for our future.

Below, is Marian Anderson singing My Country Tis of Thee. I strongly suggest that you listen in a quiet and serene place as you hear FDR's introductory remarks. Reflect on the events that brought us to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial that day. Remember the events that occurred following that day. Be inspired by the prospect of the events that will occur in the days to come.




The following are verses three and four of the original version of My Country Tis of Thee

Let wailing swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees,
The black man’s wrong;
Let every tongue awake,
Let bond and free partake,
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our Father’s God! To thee,
Author of Liberty,
To thee we sing;
Soon may our land be bright,
With holy freedom’s right,
Protect us by they might,
Great God, our King.


Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP



Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, October 19, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

3 sojourners hollin' back

Thanks for the history lesson, SjP. That is moving, just overwhelming.

October 19, 2008 at 6:58 AM

God Bless You! Remarkable to listen to President Roosevelt and hear the original voice of this powerful sista as well. Thank you for sharing this OURstory as part of your Sunday Inspirations.

I invite your blog readers to imagine the pressure on Barack Obama during these final 16 days before the ballot boxes close. I share a photo and a prayer as part of my Sunday Inspirations meme entry this week.

peace, Villager

October 19, 2008 at 8:47 AM

I was unaware of a few things here and I appreciate you sharing them.

October 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45