Sojourner's Place

sunday inspirations...christmas memories  

Posted by SjP in

Tis the season for great joy as we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It is a season that we spread cheer, well wishes, and pray for world peace. Yet for some, this season can be the loneliest, saddest, and even the most painful time of the year.

For me, this time is bitter-sweet. My Father left our family home officially a few days before Christmas, 1972 and passed away on Christmas Eve, 1983. But, nevertheless, I have fond and happy memories of Christmases past while a child and now as an adult. So for this Inspirational Sunday, I've thought it a good idea to share some of my fondest Christmas memories with you. I hope you will do the same. Perhaps, in doing so, we will lift the spirit of someone in need during this wonderful time of the year.

So here are my childhood Christmas memories as they flash threw my mind...

Time to go buy the Christmas Tree from that place run by the Syndicate (that's what Mamma and Daddy said)... Can we get a green one this year?...White flocked as usual... Get out the ornaments; the blue ones as - again... Ahhh, its really pretty; but when I'm grown my tree gon be green...

Driving through the "white folks" neighborhood to see the Christmas lights (why don't we do our house like that?) "Con Edison, baby. Con Ed"... Wonder if the Barbie doll I want is under that sheet in Momma and Daddy's room...Bet "Brother" got another Hot Wheels...

Annual elementary school's Christmas Eve Service at the Lutheran church... Learning Silent Night in German for the church's immigrants..."Daddy, you took German in college, how do you say this word?"...Brother's class singing "Shepherds Watch Their Flocks by Night"... Sixth grade Christmas dress with faux mink color - size "chubby"; no 5-7-9 store for me..."Mamma, can I please wear stockings?" "No, not 13 yet; black tights with faux mink (ugh!)

Mamma cooking dressing and sweet potato pies... Good smells; can I lick the bowl?... Brand new pajamas, house shoes, and robe... Herb Kent the Kool Gent said Santa is flying right over my house but I don't see him... GET BACK IN BED!!

Mamma 'nem's party after dinner at 2 o'clock... Everybody coming over... Same folks every year; aunts, uncles, cousins, next door neighbors - everybody... Drinks flowing... Cards slamming... five cards no trump where the kitty - there ain't no kitty... BB playing the piano... Party almost over... There she go staggering to the piano (Oh Lawd!)... She 'bout to sing "Ava Maria"...

Christmas over... Can't wait to get some pound cake and jello in the morning....

I invite you to share your memories here.Here's wishing each of you a joyous holiday season. May God's Blessings be upon you and yours.

Merry Christmas to All


Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Saturday, December 20, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

4 sojourners hollin' back

My fondest memories are of: my parents taking the kids to see houses decorated for Christmas in the rich neighborhoods by the lake front in New Orleans; still pretending to believe in Santa; going to visit both sets of grandparents and a few great aunts and eating dinner at everybody's house (mama didn't cook); cooking my first Christmas dinner for my family so that we could stay home (I was 14.); my father assembling my brother's toys on Christmas morning (why did he wait until Christmas morning); cleaning the house while Christmas music played.

December 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I can't remember having one good Christmas in my whole childhood. Money was tight and I was the oldest boy (I had to do without so the kiddies could still have a good Christmas)
Maybe that's why I go through so much trouble trying to make other's lives better now.
Now I live in one of those neighborhoods that people drive by to see the lights. But I still can't enjoy Christmas because I always feel that I haven't done enough.

You don't like flocked trees? When I lived in Cali., I used to always get a 12' Noble fir - Flocked.

December 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM

@ HD, I imagine a New Orleans Christmas must be really beautiful. We had to wash the walls down before we could get the tree. I vowed that I would not wash one wall when I was grown. Gotta laugh now - cause the tree don't go up in my house before the walls get washed. LOL!!!

@ UBJohn, I was listening to the local news earlier today. There was a "special interest" story on about the Catholic Charities here feeding the homeless today for the holidays. It saddened me to see all of the children eating and standing in line to eat. One young girl talked about how being out in the cold hurt her throat while her father explained that he and his children generally only eat one meal a week - not a day - but a week.

I say all this to say that no matter how bad things are for us personally, there is likely someone or someones who would gladly exchange paths with us. As I said in my post, Christmas is always a bitter sweet time of the year and I always find myself drifting into a depression because of the "bad memories" of the season. But, now having a family and my own children, I find myself often going overboard to make sure that they have good memories not just at Christmas. Don't think I've always been successful - but, I pray that the good memories out shine the bad ones. Christmas is only one day and what we do the other 364 is really what matters. I'm sure you will be blessed for your maturity as a child in "leaving the pile higher" for the kiddies (smile).

As for the flocked trees... Well, I like them but my next door neighbors had live green trees with gobs of ornaments and lights. I thought that was really cool! When I was older, we finally did get a green tree but it was artifical... LOL!!!

December 21, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Preparing for the Christmas pageant at church is my fondest memory. Memorizing my speech or my lines in the play, the costuming, the goodie bags that the Church mothers handed out afterwards. I loved the performances, the singing of Christmas carols.

I learned everyone else's speaking parts, even reciting my brother's speech by mistake one year. The church mother made me march all the way back up to the front and say my own! I miss those days.

December 23, 2008 at 8:47 AM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45