Sojourner's Place

According to Maya, Michelle is "The Real Deal"  

Posted by SjP in , ,

I'm sure we all remember when poet, author, playwright and civil rights activist, Dr. Maya Angelou, endorsed Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination for POTUS. While her endorsement of HRC did not surprise me, the backlash she endured for doing so, did. Seems that many had forgotten when her genius was introduced to many Americans (non-Oprah watchers) by Bill Clinton during his first inauguration. It seemed that it was no longer a "Good Morning" for Maya because of that endorsement.In an article appearing in Sunday's Washington Post (1/18/09), however, Maya Angelou may find herself back in the good graces of at least some of her most ardent opponents. The article entitled: At Long Last, Ready for the Real Deal, Maya describes her encounter with Michelle Obama during an event in Greensboro, NC where she was to introduce Mrs. Obama. Calling her good friend Oprah, Maya asked What is your take on Michelle Obama?" To which Oprah is said to have promptly replied, "She is the real deal."

Having only 45 minutes to "get to know" the woman she was to introduce, these two women of grace, character, and substance talked about "family, the economy, youth obesity, television, music, cooking and men". May says

I was completely won over. She neither postured nor preened. I sensed no subterfuge in her conversation. She said what she thought and said it clearly, without bombast.
In introducing Michelle, Maya recounted her conversation with Oprah, reflected on the short 45 minute conversation with Michelle and in concluding her introductory remarks, Maya simply said
"Now ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the 'real deal.' "
I encourage you to read the full text of Dr. Angelou's article here for I have always been of the opinion that Maya Angelou has always been the real deal even when I have not agreed.

Cross posted @ Michelle Obama Watch

Obliged to you for hearing me,
and now old SjP ain't got nothin' more to say...
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Technorati ~ ~ Del.iciou.us ~ ~ Digg This! ~ ~ StumbleUpon ~ ~ Twitter ~ ~ My Good Towels ~ ~ FeedBlitz ~ ~ Email SjP




Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, January 18, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

9 sojourners hollin' back

SjP,

I know what you mean about Maya! I took her endorsement of Hillary Clinton to be personal-and I will defend her right to do so. She is not the only black person who did not back Barack.

But I love Maya as a writer. I just finished Letter To My Daughter about two weeks ago. It is a dynamic piece of work.

That St.Louis in Maya understands that Southside in Michelle. They both are the real deal.

Thanks for posting this.

January 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I wasn't as offended by her endorsement of HRC as I was by Bob Johnson's.
Her's seemed more rooted in her friendship with Hillary.
But at one point - even Michelle noted the lack of Black support (overall) for Barrack.

January 18, 2009 at 9:57 PM

This is some good stuff...

And I'll add that I wasn't offended by her endorsement of HRC either.

But Bob Johnson on the other hand? That...man seemed to have a whole 'nother agenda in mind.

January 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM

@ MLD, "that St. Louis...understands that Southside...

You know you right about that! I'd forgotten that Maya was from that neck of the woods. You know they on the same page...

@ UBJohn, I was really ticked off at BJ - not because he endorsed HRC but the way he did it. Truly a man who has forgotten where he came from. Maybe OJ might need to remind him.

But, Michelle also noted that 'we' would come around and come around 'we' did. I have to admit that my initial support was for Biden until he dropped out. Then I took a real hard look at both HRC and BHO. But, when HRC showed her natural a$$, I had to go with BHO. Never considered Edwards cause he just smiled too much for me...now we all know why he was smiling...

@ Marva, like I said above, BJ was like the judas goat. Wonder what he's doing now? LOL

January 18, 2009 at 10:19 PM

I wasnt put off by her endorsement of HRC since I wasnt fully sold on Obama either back than.

But I am a little disturbed by the fact that she needed oprah to co-sign Michelle Obama.

A little reaserch would have shown her that Michelle is an outstanding role model who has achieved what many woman strive to get in her career and personal lives.

To me Maya like many other HRC supporters come off as holding a grudge for the loss.

January 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM

@ Mike, at first I thought the same thing with respect to Oprah but then remembered that she and Oprah are very good friends. So it really does make sense for Maya to ask Oprah about her take on Michelle since she had to introduce her. Gotta think about the grudge thing as it relates to Maya. I've seen a couple of interviews and she seems as excited as the rest ofus O-supporters.

January 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I wasn't mad at Dr. Angelou when she endorsed Hillary. Had Obama not been in the race most of the people who panned Dr. Angelou would have voted for Hillary themselves. I know I would have, I have no love for the Republican party,

January 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
January 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Maya is all right with me! If only we could share tea and good conversation for an afternoon.

January 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45