Sojourner's Place

sunday inspirations...crossing a destination yet unknown  

Posted by SjP in , ,

Today's Sunday Inspirations is an account of an experience I had earlier this year which, I shared here at Sojourner's Place. I often think about this brief experience as it has left a lasting impression on me. It has been said, that when something happens to you that is so profound that it stays with you that it is the voice of God telling you to take heed and listen.

Crossing a Destination Yet Unknown

This morning, I had a very interesting, strange and inspiring experience. On my way to perform my civic duty (I’ll talk about that in a future post) I encountered an elderly man attempting to cross the street with a walker. Just prior to my approaching him, I heard him ask a woman for assistance. Blurting out something in what I considered in a tone both rude and disrespectful, the woman quickly scurried away leaving him to fend for himself.

Obviously afraid to cross the street during its downtown morning rush – I offered to help the Elder. As one would expect, he was extremely grateful and we began our two block walk to his destination. During that walk, I learned that he was a retired CPA, had suffered a stroke about a year ago, and that his doctor – a woman – suspected that he would have to continue to use the walker for at least another six months. The Elder is the father of three; two sons, both engineers and a real estate agent daughter.

This elder spoke to me about many things during our walk including Islam and its tenants regarding the importance of women and mothers and the need to respect one another. He spoke of how ants will help each other to survive in their world in the absence of competition. He said that only humans feel the need for competition, degradation, and humiliation against one another creating divides, hatred, and the inability to coexist.

Reaching his destination, I knew that he would have to climb about 4 concrete steps. I remained at the bottom of the steps and helped him to steady himself by holding onto the railing. Once steadied, I took is walker to the landing and then returned to the Elder to assist him up the stairs. The doorman – who was watching all of this – then, assisted him into the business establishment. Before saying our farewells, the Elder said to me, “I asked God to send someone to help me cross that street. And he sent you. He sent you – the nice lady with a pretty smile – a lady who is now my daughter.” The Elder then kissed my hand and blessed me with a good and prosperous life. I thanked him, claimed the blessing, and proceeded to my destination to perform my civic duty.

Everything happens for a reason. And while I may have been placed at the right time and place to help the Elder cross the street, I sincerely believe that this unknown Elder was placed at that spot to safely cross ME to a destination yet unknown.



Sunday Inspiration Participants:

Afroamericawriter - Bria - Georgia's Angels - Hagar's Daughter - Marvalus - msladydeborah - Villager - Mrs Grapevine - Talulazoeapple - The78MsJ

Speak the Truth!

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old SjP ain't got nothing more to say.

Sphere: Related Content

This entry was posted at Sunday, August 17, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

5 sojourners hollin' back

Anonymous  

A destination yet unknown. That sent chills all through me. What a beautiful story. We often meet Jesus in the flesh and don't realize it. I'm glad you recognized Him that day. Have a beautiful Sunday and week.

August 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM

I love to hear stories like this...God at work is such a beautiful thing!

I'm working on my SI post...it will be up shorthly...

Have a wonderful Sunday!

August 17, 2008 at 11:44 AM
Anonymous  

Hi SJP,

When you hear my voice harden not your heart.
I feel sorry for the other lady, she will nevr know what she missed in her chance encounter. I know what you received, thanks for the confirmation.

August 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Anonymous  

SJP,

This story is so awesome. I don't know if you got a chance to read my post about my encounter with a little angel but hear is the link:

http://www.talulazoeapple.com/apple/2008/08/today-i-met-an.html

I know God is with us and he chosses little moments to see how we treat the least of his people.

You will be blessed!

August 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM
Anonymous  

Hello there!!

This is such a wonderful testimony!

The word of the Lord says to be careful how we engage with strangers for some have entertained angels!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

August 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM
Locations of visitors to this page
Visit SjP's Trophy Room for a Complete Tour

Best Posts

View blog authority

BlogBurst.com

RSSMicro FeedRank Results Page Rank Check My Zimbio Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered By Blogger

ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45 ss_blog_claim=2e257d71ca5f6a09d98a874a48a3ee45